More threads by BenFisher

BenFisher

Local Search Expert
LocalU Faculty
Solutions
Reaction score
Google has updated the redressal form to bring a little more clarity as to what should be submitted.

If you simply need to correct an incorrect business name, phone number, or URL, do not use this form. Use these steps to correct the information instead.

Essentially, if you are spam-fighting, do not use the redressal form for reporting keyword stuffed names.

What Google is looking for is "misleading information or fraudulent activity" such as fake listings, or say a name of a business is Auto Accident Lawyers, but the website is all about garage door repair.

What they are encouraging is that you use to suggest an edit. Yes, it may not stick, the merchant may simply change it back, but Google is using suggested edits to train the machine learning algorithm. So while it may seem fruitless, it is helping in the long run.

redressal-update-title.jpg

I'm finding spam and am using the redressal form for locations that are no longer in business according to the state registrations, or otherwise seem fraudulent. So far, that's what is crossing my path the most. Would you say that is a proper redressal usage? Good to know on the address! Will keep this in mind.

That is perfect usage!

I don't think this advice matches what it states at the very beginning.

If you come across misleading information or fraudulent activity on Google Maps related to the name, phone number, or URL of a business, you may use this form to submit a complaint.

Keyword stuffing business names is misleading and fraudulent.

I think what they're saying at the bottom is if you see something that's just a mistake then you should suggest an edit. Otherwise, why would they mention the name in the very first paragraph?

Lol right!!! I am enjoying my 3 -4 day turn around atm.

We have tried using the redressal form when we uncovered a company making a large amount of faking listings across the US and have seen no action taken. We also tried calling Google Support and contacting them via twitter and have seen no change made. When you said you are enjoying your 3-4 day turn around were you kidding, or are you seeing changes from the redressal form that fast?

The only changes we have seen go through are when we suggest edits.

The only changes we have seen go through are when we suggest edits.

I'm surprised this works because isn't a suggested edit going to go to them and then they can just decline it? These businesses know what they're doing, I'd be surprised they would accept them.

The only time I've been using "suggest edit" is for listings that aren't claimed.

Sorry I wasn't more clear. The "suggest edit" was working for other scenarios like unclaimed listings, or keyword stuffing in business names. It did not work in the case of the fake listings. We see the quickest approval of suggested edits when we add a screenshot of their real business name or location.

Thanks, Tyler, those are great tips! I'll give it a try as we have had mixed results.

If you add a screenshot when suggesting an edit, anybody associated with the listing is altered and then they know who reported them. I have not seen any data to suggest that adding a photo would help with the edit either.

If you add a screenshot when suggesting an edit, anybody associated with the listing is altered and then they know who reported them. I have not seen any data to suggest that adding a photo would help with the edit either.

You know, now that you mention that, that warning on the suggest an edit page is what has kept me from uploading a photo every time.

So what's the consensus on this? Give suggest a try the first go around or go right to redressal if it's an owned listing? I was doing this yesterday and had a competitor with at least a half dozen keyword-stuffed listings I was reporting, that seems clearly redressal to me if not all keyword stuffing.

You can’t use the redressal form for keyword stuffed listings. You need to use suggest an edit and hope that it sticks.

I see, thanks so much!

So, going back to the OP here, we're pretty much only looking at redressal for out and out fraud or spammed listings?

@keyserholiday so what's the next best step for changing/reporting keyword-stuffed listings? I've been trying to suggest edit and clean up some moving related ones for months with no luck.

Screenshot 2020-04-13 12.29.53.png

I would look up their listed address as see if is they are using PO boxes, if other businesses are sharing address and finally check to see if they are registered with the State of California and then use the redressal form if they are spam and not real businesses.

Google updated the policy for the Redressal form and you can and should report keyword-stuffed listings. First use "suggest an edit" to help train the AI, then use the Redressal form.

Google had a backlog when COVID-19 started in Mid-March and the turn around time has greatly improved. I am seeing fake listings getting removed within 5 to 10 days. Keyword-stuffers are taking several weeks the last time I checked. It had been over a month since I submitted a keyword-stuffed listing. I focus more on the larger lead gen networks.

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom