More threads by Linda Buquet

I just did a local search on my tablet and it had old style 7-pack results. Here is screenshot.

Screenshot_2015-08-14-08-13-52.jpg

Do you think tablets haven't been affected yet or are they actually reversing it?

Screenshot_2015-08-14-08-13-52.jpg

Good catch!!! Thanks for sharing.

Actually that's not like the old 7 pack exactly, that's a new breed of page I have not seen yet.
The old pack just had the A, B, C markers to the right.

This one has markers with no letters, but for the 1st time I've seen, has distance.

But no, I doubt they are reversing but still are heavily testing different layouts.

There was another new major wrinkle/test discovered last night.

I'm working on a new post and will feature yours as well as the other one.

Oh wait. Where is that screen shot from?

The very 1st page of results when you searched for hvac contractors?
So the main search results???

Because there are 5 not 3.
And it says at bottom "Map Results" whereas the new normal 3 pack has "More hvac contractors" and goes to the Local Finder not the map results.

I've tried replicating the query as listed in your URL string in screenshot but can't.
Where exactly was that shot from?

It is from my Samsung 10" tablet. Search query "hvac contractors", location Brooklyn NY. It shows 7 results, they just don't fit all on a screen. And it has a map on top of local pack.

Oh so that is the 1st page of the main search results???

Interesting. I think a couple days ago I read a discussion somewhere about tablet display being different.

Thanks for confirming how you got that shot.

I just shared your shot and post in a new post here:

<a href="http://www.localsearchforum.com/google-local/35763-images-serps-yet-2-more-new-google-local-displays-being-tested.html">Images in the SERPS! Yet 2 More New Google Local Displays Being Tested</a>

Hey all, be sure to see this. Wanted to alert you in case you missed it:
<a href="http://www.localsearchforum.com/google-local-important/35835-new-google-local-3-pack-shake-up-definitive-overview-all-you-need-know.html">New Google Local 3 Pack Shake-Up: Definitive Overview - All You Need to Know</a>

It is disappointing that the business descriptions provided in the GMB profile are not being used in the Knowledge Graph (or anywhere else that I can find). In most cases, no business description is used. In other cases, Google is using their own description that doesn't match what is provided in the GMB profile.

Is anybody seeing anything different?

Yes Myles you are right and that's a shame.

Some of the editorial summaries and sentiment analysis comments aren't that accurate so it would be nice if businesses had a chance to describe their company themselves.

Since the G+ page with the long description that's allowed now, is pretty much invisible anyway - I'd vote for Google bringing back a 200 character description and SHOWING it!

But maybe decription, along with phone #, will show up once it's a paid listing. :confused:

It appears that Google is displaying the review summary description in the Knowledge Graph. Not all businesses have them, but they also appear on the G+ Local page.

pizza hut review summary.JPG

It is a shame that they would not display what the business has created. For Pizza Hut it instead of "Family-friendly chain known for its made-to-order pizzas." It would be:

Eat at Pizza Hut and enjoy our great selection of Pizzas, Pastas, Wings, Sides and Desserts. Order Online for delivery or pick up. Hungry for deals? Check out ours today!

pizza hut review summary.JPG

Just a note when it comes to the phone numbers.

The phone number doesn't show in the small 3 pack results, but someone mentioned it was showing for phone shops. It looks like the word "phone" is a trigger for Google.

If you type in whatever you're looking for and then add "phone" it will show the phone number.

Regular search:
attorney in omaha   Google Search.jpg

Search with the word phone:
attorney in omaha phone   Google Search.jpg

attorney in omaha   Google Search.jpg

attorney in omaha phone   Google Search.jpg

Thanks Conor!

Don't you guys think that's a little odd though? Seems like maybe missing phone is a bug, if adding phone specifically to the query pulls up phone #s???

Great pick up Conor!

It's interesting how the phone number replaces the business hours - maybe they think customers will call to get opening hours instead?

Fascinating all the different permutations that this one little 3-pack is providing!

It is still hit or miss, though. For instance, from my home in 92056, searching for "home care" or "home care phone" produces the same result sets, both sans phone numbers.

However, searching from home for "in-home care" and "in-home care phone" DOES produce two different results, both with the same three companies but with the phone numbers shown for the second of those two queries.

I think it may just be Google interpreting the searcher's intent to be "show me phone numbers for in-home care companies" instead of just "show me in-home care companies".

You think?

Thanks again Conor.

Since your discovery was buried and hidden in this huge thread, started a new one about it.

<a href="http://www.localsearchforum.com/google-local/35918-how-trigger-phone-new-local-3-pack.html">How to Trigger Phone # in the New Local 3 Pack</a>

Thanks Tim! I've been so busy posting about all the crazy changes, I have not even had any time to research further.

Have you guys ever seen this big of a flurry of changes all in the same period of time?

Almost seems like they are throwing a bunch of tests at the wall to see what sticks?

OR these are a bunch of small changes, to shake things up and distract us before the big change happens?

What do you think???

Thanks Tim! I've been so busy posting about all the crazy changes, I have not even had any time to research further.

Have you guys ever seen this big of a flurry of changes all in the same period of time?

Almost seems like they are throwing a bunch of tests at the wall to see what sticks?

OR these are a bunch of small changes, to shake things up and distract us before the big change happens?

What do you think???

All these current changes are going to come together like Voltron and create a big huge new user experience for Q4.

When I visited Google to get my certification I saw some of the amazing work flow and to-do lists of many individuals. It seemed to me that everyone works on bite sized mini projects that get sent upward and eventually gets tested and pieced together as it travels up the chain. I also understood that the maps dept. contains several other departments and teams and heard many times that communication between them all was difficult and long winded.

Recently they have been merging several projects together for further simplicity and disconnecting G+ so it's no longer a requirement for a Google account. (ie. Business View gets merged with Street View on September 3rd) Perhaps it has something to do with Alphabet. In any event many more changes will happen and shall be fun to see the new interfaces as well as apps that come out of it. Keeps us all on our toes doesn't it? I feel bad for businesses and users who aren't as savvy.

What I don't understand is why I can't put most phone numbers into maps that will retrieve a business listing any longer. Maybe a bug.. lol

Has anyone seen this yet?

I did a search for a dentist in a location. Clicked on the More Results link under the 3-pack.

Then clicked on the top result, and look what showed up to the right of his listing. See attached image.

Google is showing organic results under his info. That goes for every result on that page.

Screen Shot 2015-08-28 at 12.08.48 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2015-08-28 at 12.08.48 PM.jpg

Thanks Mike. Yes, we've been talking about that for awhile in a couple other threads.

If there are reviews, it will push those organics down.

Hello Everyone,
I have heard this new 3 pack is google's way of trying to get people to spend more on ads. :mad:

Thanks,
Shawn

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Trending: Most Viewed

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom