Google+ Local Display Update - New About Page Layout

Some may already be seeing the new update where Google has changed the layout to 3 columns which seems to focus on reviews. A "widget", of sorts, that includes 3 buttons (Review, Directions and Photos) now shows up in the top left. This makes it easier for the user to find where to leave a review. The issue? This layout only seems to show when you are NOT logged into a Google account. As always, here are some screenshots of the findings.

Here is the standard layout

Here is the new or "not logged in" layout.

I have been playing around with the display settings for the Google+ Local page but they have not seemed to have any affect. I know all you fabulous users and contributors may be seeing the same thing and might have more insight.

Thanks

Last edited by Linda Buquet; Today at 09:40 PM. Reason: I'm calling this an update now, not a test. Moved to G+ L IMPORTANT - Changed Title from "Google+ Local 'about' tab changing or just different for "logged in" users" to more descriptive title.

Thanks for breaking the story here Ryan!

Last edited by a moderator:
WHOA! That's new and refreshing!

Ryan can I call you our official bird dog?

Or maybe we should come up with an Eagle Eye award when folks spot and share updates like this!!!

I'm not seeing it yet. But am excited to check it out when it gets to me!

Thanks again for sharing!!!

Hawkeye. He is kind of a cool superhero and part of the Avengers. Not Ironman or Thor but still cool. Hey, we could have a club... The Google Local Avengers haha.

Hey Hawkeye, I've been curious about this. Where are you based?
What browser? You only see it when logged out?
Inquiring minds want to know... :p

Just Tweeted and G+ed this to see if anyone else can see it yet.

I REALLY like the horizontal review display a lot!

I am not seeing this either, but have to agree with Linda. I do like the layout better and helping consumers find the review button a little easier.

Big LOL!

Hey Hawkeye, I've been curious about this. Where are you based?
What browser? You only see it when logged out?
I'm located in Salt Lake City, UT. I've tested with Chrome, Firefox and, as painful as it was, IE. All show the same results depending on whether you are logged into Google or not.

This is a super catch! Thank you so much for sharing it. Like others, I'm not seeing it yet, including on your example page of the craft store. Looks like Google is testing something very cool here. Agree, like the layout!

YAY finally had time to look and I see it now.

Odd for me in FF even with large screen it's the new layout but single narrow column down. Lots of wasted space on the sides. But in Chrome and IE it's the 3 column layout.

I really like it and Google is really putting reviews front and center. Including more visibility for 3rd party reviews which is interesting.

Will be interesting to see where this is all heading. I don't think they would put energy into the page if they are going to continue to keep it hidden. So I suspect something is up.

Glad to see this actually took hold. I like the new focus on reviews. This, of course, raises more questions.

- How important are reviews for ranks? That's a very common debate in our community but you cannot deny that this is one of the deciding factors of someone picking a business. Crappy reviews = Less traffic.
- Will G be changing the algorithm to have reviews affect ranks more? Who knows! This is definitely a possibility, well, anything is a possibility.
- Is it the reviews that affect the ranking or the amount of interaction with the listings that is factored into the algorithm. More reviews = more traffic. Better ranks? Who knows!

I'm not trying to confuse anyone, I just like raising questions. :D

Colan Nielsen

Administrator
All the pages that I'm checking right now seem to have reverted back to the original layout. Google's a tease.

Anyone else seeing that?

Local Search Forum

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe

Google Product Exert

@LocalSearchLink

Join Our Facebook Group