Google+ Local HUGE Layout Change

Linda Buquet

LOL!

Just finally got time to check my email. There was an email to me from Jade at 7:30 this morning alerting to the update. Had I checked my email, I would have known about this update before I even logged in here.

Guess I need to flip my sched. I always log in and post here 1st, to try to help folks and get a couple of new posts done - THEN check email later, so email does not sidetrack me. (Otherwise I'm helping folks one-on-one via email which takes time, instead of posting here where I can help lots of folks at the same time.)

But in this case it was kind of an important sidetrack I wish I would have known 1st thing. OK so we live and learn! :eek:

Dialady

Just pulled up my first Google+Places page to discover the new look. Great timing!! I agree the map is just huge. Was creating a link from my client's website to their Google+Places page. Guess I'll use the /about/ so it goes to a smaller version of the page. Hopefully we'll be able to link directly to the review page from the client's webpage. That would be cool

Theresa :cool:

Greg Gifford

LocalU Faculty
Linda -

any way you could ask Jade how we can edit the 5 photos in the photo strip? I've got several clients really freaking out about it...

Also, I just put up a blog post explaining how the new huge images work (and change based on behavior and location)... and I shared a Photoshop template with guides:

Google Plus Updates Cover Images | New Google+ Cover Image Size

Linda Buquet

Gregg, there has been some background discussions about image issues. I'm so swamped have not been able to read all my Google emails yet.

When I get time I'll try to catch up and read your post and then see if I have any info that will help or if it's something I need to escalate. Jamming as fast as I can trying to help a bunch of folks right now.

Linda Buquet

dot diz ahzum
Your crazy sense of humor sometimes goes right over my head and I have no bandwidth to spare right now. /Hard drive full/

Oh dear almost afraid to ask. But... Translate please and I'll LOL in advance... :p

Linda Buquet

Duh! Told you HD full! It was the DOT that got me.

If he typed "dat diz ahzum" I would not have been so blond!

Linda Buquet

Linda -

any way you could ask Jade how we can edit the 5 photos in the photo strip? I've got several clients really freaking out about it...

Also, I just put up a blog post explaining how the new huge images work (and change based on behavior and location)... and I shared a Photoshop template with guides:

Google Plus Updates Cover Images | New Google+ Cover Image Size
Oh man, just read your very depressing post. I was hoping this was a good change but alas... there seem to always be issues. Can't believe how many you found!

One piece of good news though, did you see in screenshot in this post? There is a new reviews tab, which may help compensate for the gray review button. It's not showing on some listings though and it's not in the ones on your post - so not sure what the deal is there.

Keenan Glass

Yep, that's correct.

Sorry, been a bit of a long day, but it's pretty awesome that Greg already put that post together.

We've enabled the Review button, but I think it will take some time before it appears in the menu.

Looking over my clients tonight and I've noticed that there is no longer a pin marker for listings that I've selected "do not show my business address". I know there is not supposed to play as an identifier for where a business is in this situation. Rather, the goal is to show areas served. However, this is a new change that I know we will all be dealing with in the coming month!

I'm not sure if anyone has discussed this change or not (if so, please point me towards the discussion), but any suggestions on best practices for this? I'm liking Linda's previous suggestion for removing the zip code so that the marker shows in the center of a city, but I don't know how my current clients will adapt to the change.

Thanks!

Keenan Glass

Melissa - where is the PIN marker no longer appearing? As far as I know, PIN markers for SAB with address hidden have not been in the small map nor in the header map (if applicable) on the Places page for some time.

Thanks for the quick response Keegan. I could be delirious, but I have a handful of clients that we have opted to not show the address for. When I viewed their listing in the past, a pin locator appeared on their small map on the actual Google+Local page.

Again, I could be very mistaken. My memory is a little jarred with all the new changes we've seen today!

Hi Linda,

We've seen the update and looks great.
How would this new layout and benefits effect multiple listings that are still waiting to merge to the new social Google Plus page from the old Google+ Local pages?
When you click on Edit in the dashboard it still looks like the original dashboard before this update.

Thanks
Delwin

Kel

Discovered a little quirk yesterday. Chrome had the circle image display on the new layout. Firefox still had the square image with the new layout for the same page. Anyone else notice this or any other differences between search engines?

m_j_gregory

Thanks for sharing Linda, I appreciate it!

Also, (not sure if this has been discussed) but we have noticed that the formatting and links have been stripped out of the descriptions (as of now). We will continue to monitor this and provide an update if/when we see any changes or movement on this front.

Thanks,
Matt

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe

Trending: Most Viewed

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...

Local University Guide

Google Product Exert