Google+ Local HUGE Layout Change

Linda Buquet

Also, (not sure if this has been discussed) but we have noticed that the formatting and links have been stripped out of the descriptions (as of now). We will continue to monitor this and provide an update if/when we see any changes or movement on this front.
Matt if I remember right - in a big flurry of emails back and forth with Google yesterday one of the TCs brought that up. Or maybe it was a post in the G forum. And I think Google asked for more examples of the problem.

I'll try to find it and let you know if it was a post at the G forum so you can read and weigh in. To be honest, so much hit all at once yesterday I it's all kind of a blur.

Linda Buquet

size-change.jpg

HEAD'S UP! Greg Gifford from AutoRevo, one of our valued members just posted a much needed "Google Plus Cover Image Template" Download template at BOTTOM of the post below.

BUT be sure to read the entire post for important image problems this new update has created!

Google Plus Changes Cover Photo Size (again)

Frustrated? It’s your lucky day…

I’ve created a Photoshop template for the new Google Plus cover image size. It includes several guides and a layer of text to explain why each set of guides are important. Hopefully it makes the transition a little bit easier for you…

Download the 2013 Google Plus Cover Image Template
Download at bottom of that page but again read the whole post for great info and a heads up on all the new image problems this update is creating!

Thanks for alerting me Greg and thanks for offering to our members.

Linda Buquet

How would this new layout and benefits effect multiple listings that are still waiting to merge to the new social Google Plus page from the old Google+ Local pages?

When you click on Edit in the dashboard it still looks like the original dashboard before this update.
Yes the dash has not changed. Just the physical layout of the live page

Discovered a little quirk yesterday. Chrome had the circle image display on the new layout. Firefox still had the square image with the new layout for the same page. Anyone else notice this or any other differences between search engines?
Kel someone posted about it, I think in one of the other posts in this thread OR in Gregs post linked above. Or maybe was in one of my Google emails. BUT I thought that person said Chrome and FF = round and Safari = square.

Could be still rolling out or could be still a little buggy.

Kel

I am comparing Chrome to FF now and it is still showing the circle on Chrome and the Square of FF. Not a biggie, but could be interesting for design purposes.

Linda Buquet

Thanks for the feedback Kel.

I think Jade from Google will be stopping by soon to comment and maybe she can address that issue too.

GREG - I sent her link to your blog post too and I think she'll be commenting on that as well.

Anyone else getting the reviews tab missing and being a write a review button off to the right of the tabs just under the cover image now? I just checked a couple profiles and wanted to make sure I am not the only one getting no review tab anymore.

Update: Ah Disregard, looking at the wrong page and could not delete my post, sorry.

Last edited by a moderator:

Linda Buquet

No Grant, I'm missing the reviews tab on my listing too and have it selected in settings. So I'd been wondering myself.

Rant----

Fantastic discussion going on here, but I just have to grouse about the gargantuan masthead on the new layout. If I designed a website with a header that large, I'd berate myself for the rest of my life. I honestly do not get how this improves the user experience in any way, and as far as setting a design standard for how professional products should look.....noooooooo...:eek:

Really not loving it.

----Rant Over

Keenan Glass

on my Mac - FF, Chrome, Opera = Cropped Round Profile but Safari and Camino shows up Square.

As Mac people, we're not allowed to use Microsoft products so I have no idea what happens in Explorer.

Since the area of a circle is 20% smaller than a square of the same size, I gotta wonder what type of hallucinogenics the design team is taking.

Since the area of a circle is 20% smaller than a square of the same size, I gotta wonder what type of hallucinogenics the design team is taking.
Keenan, the circle was selected because Google+ organizes people in 'Circles.'

Jo Shaer

My personal Google+ page now looks like a pile of poo! How on earth could anyone think that massive image would please anyone?

And, having viewed on Thursday Facebook's plans to simplify and synchronise their platform across all devices it looks like Google is shooting itself in the foot again!

At Facebook, they announce the changes and then roll them out to a few people to test, get the feedback and adapt and adjust.

Google seem to roll things out to everyone without thinking about the ramifications or consequences but, worse, they roll out something that doesn't actually work properly in the first place!

Come on guys, sort yourselves out!

Stomps off in disgust!

apolodor

Inactive
I got the new Google+ designs as well. They're not just on my Places listings, but my personal profile as well. I can't really understand where Google is heading with this. The new profiles look terrible on my 15 inch screen and I bet they look even worse on smaller screens.

hellolocal

Has anyone seen images disappear after this new layout change? We have some clients on Google+ Local that previously had 1 or sometimes 5 photos uploaded but they aren't displaying now.

I am also getting complaints in from clients that have their images missing and their profiles are showing "be the first to submit an image" message thing in the picture window for the profile. I poked one of the listings to see if it updates in a couple days but right now I am seeing this also.

Linda Buquet

Has anyone seen images disappear after this new layout change? We have some clients on Google+ Local that previously had 1 or sometimes 5 photos uploaded but they aren't displaying now.
I am also getting complaints in from clients that have their images missing and their profiles are showing "be the first to submit an image" message thing in the picture window for the profile. I poked one of the listings to see if it updates in a couple days but right now I am seeing this also.
I have not been to the G forum yet today to see if there are missing image complaints.

BUT the 500 error on merged listings was tracked to this display update so other bugs would not surprise me.

"be the first to submit an image" This really concerns me. On a claimed listing Google is inviting consumers to muck up your listing??? Not good IMO!

Grant can you share a link so I can see? I might do a new post about this.

Also keep us updated on whether the poke works.

So is the general consensus to hold off on updating the photo sizes (per Greg's awesome template - thanks Greg!) or just wait a bit longer until some of the dust settles? Or are people making the change...and it seems like i read somewhere that you can only update the photo once...can anyone confirm if that is correct?

Shonda

Local Search Forum

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe

Google Product Exert

@LocalSearchLink

Join Our Facebook Group