More threads by Colan Nielsen

Colan Nielsen

Administrator
LocalU Faculty
Solutions
Reaction score
Last edited by a moderator:
re: Google Local SERP Update: Old Pack Algo & Doubles

No change here in the UK ( at the moment )

Definitely seeing it here (Miami). Saw some like this last night, but today they are everywhere.

Thanks Colan, saw your post this AM but have not had time to check in detail. Will soon.

Thanks for sharing!

Google seems to be playing around a bit today. It seems that Blended results have disappeared.

Got your PM with more info Tony.

I'm not seeing any of that. All the same to me.

You must be sitting on a test server.

So far, you're the only one I've talked to not seeing it. Go figure! I can't imagine it will last, but it's definitely...something.

Ya I'm seeing same old serps and am not seeing reports anywhere else yet.

The reason I asked for screen shot in PM, is people use different terminology.

When I say blended I'm referring to the pack.

Are you saying the pack is gone? For all searches everywhere there is no more local blended 7 pack?

OK based on tips from Tony, followed a string of Tweets. Cannot see the update in most SERPS but found a WEIRD one.

Search Chicago Lawyer: https://www.google.com/search?q=chicago+lawyer&ie=UTF-8

UpdateChicagoLawyer.jpg

Hat tip to Jared Mckiernan on Twitter.

So def looks like there is some sort of shakeup going on!

UpdateChicagoLawyer.jpg

OK so I figured out PART of what's up. People, including Joy and Tony are reporting doubles on page 1. Some that rank in the pack also rank in organic.

That combined with the "more results near city" link tells me that Google is starting to show the OLD pack layout. (Which has been around all along, but you would normally only see it for small towns or non-competitive searches.)

Check out seattle chiropractor. Several lucky Chiros have double #1. They are in the pack also rank below in organic.

TONS of DOUBLE #1 being seen and reported!

You are a sleuth Linda! This could be great news for the clients who had been blocked form entering the pack due to having their site in organic already. I know you had one dealing with this. Can't wait to see how it shakes out.

I'll likely start a new thread soon since this is no longer a font size update.

Looks like lots of stuff is happening. I'm getting other reports and will try to pull it all together in a new thread when I get a chance.

This is looking like a major update to local, not just a change in display.

1. Businesses can now rank in the pack and organically with the same landing page URL
  2. It kind of looks like the pack might be driven directly from Maps now, possibly indicating that the pack is driven purely by local factors now. In other words, no longer blended. 9 out of 10 queries I check, the pack matches up perfectly with the top 7 results in Maps. I'm still looking into this before I make any conclusions.

I'll report back once I've investigated further.

Thanks Darren, yes that's what the old Places algo and display was like.

Pack pure local, not blended. So if you ranked high in both maps and pure organic you'd get a double.

So this does not look like a quote "new" update. Looks like we are going BACK in time to the old Pack algo, that was still around but you would hardly ever see it anymore.

Weird.

And yes I'm still checking it out too.

My gut tells me that going BACKWARDS to the old Places algo is a Google brainfart and she's trying to push out some other bigger, different update but something got jumbled up and this is a temporary glitch. (Nothing to base that on, just pure gut reaction.)

I can't SEE IT but I am hopeful it will role out into Austin !! :)

I'm seeing the same thing in San Antonio, Texas and Fresno, California. A number of my clients who "used to" have 2 results in the top 5 (back 8 months ago) are now back at it again. A lot of our home service companies have been moving around over the past 72 hours. Confirmed, merged results are gone.

This makes me wonder about the ranking factors for the map pack...have they changed?

I still have a feeling this change isn't permanent....right? Right?

My gut tells me that going BACKWARDS to the old Places algo is a Google brainfart and she's trying to push out some other bigger, different update but something got jumbled up and this is a temporary glitch. (Nothing to base that on, just pure gut reaction.)
I agree with your gut. I'll take it, however. lol Makes it much easier to explain to clients than "No, you see 'blended' is...".

Hang onto your seats! :eek:

Fasten seat belts. Maybe even wear a hard hat!

I predict we are in for a wild ride this weekend! :p

An entire SERP just changed when I clicked search again to refresh.

Im seeing doubles for plastic surgeons in:

Orlando, Miami, Dallas, Chicago, NYC, Philadelphia, SF, Las Vegas, Atlanta, San Jose.

However not all of the local results are lined up with maps (yet?).

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom