More threads by JoshuaMackens

JoshuaMackens

Local Search Expert
Reaction score
I'm sure everyone has seen drastically different search results in local maps between google.com and google.ca.

Has anyone been tracking organic result differences? I've got a client that is flip flopped around in Maps and organic both via google.com va google.ca.

Maybe this is part of Pigeon that I missed, as I just thought it applied to Maps listings. Have you guys realized it affects organic ranking since day 1 as well?

I never heard anyone differentiate...

No I mainly watch the pack - and most of my tracking screenshots just zero in on the pack.

I should start doing full page screenshots more often.

No I mainly watch the pack - and most of my tracking screenshots just zero in on the pack.

I should start doing full page screenshots more often.

I zero'd in on the pack on as well.

However, the organic results themselves are different also. My client is at the top of the organic and the maps in google.ca. #1 or #2

In the US they are near the top and in the top half of the middle. #3 - #5

Same for the map pack and worse. Sometimes, they're not even in the pack anymore. #2 - #15

So it looks like Pigeon isn't just for the map. It has to be affecting everything. So it makes more sense that Pigeon is a completely different algorithm that is able to detect local search intent, right?

Can anyone poke any holes in this?

No I agree. I thought all along it was having some effect on everything, partly due to more directory listings and partly due to noticing some organics changing. I'm just too focused on packs so had simply not tracked enough to note what's changed in organic.

But you are right, using .ca is a good way to see the whole picture.

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom