More threads by Nick.SEOSpark

Reaction score
Hi All,

Does anyone else have this problem? - Changes are made to the Google Places address, and other elements of the listing. However, only some of the changes are updated.

Here is an example..

The change to filter through should be:

14b-15b (changed to 14b)
Main Street

However, what ends up is:

*Blank Space*
Main Street

So, it's reporting 14b-15b
Main Street on the Google places dashboard.......

but has removed the "14b-15b" on the live listing...

Any idea what this is all about? :confused:

It might be some type of data reconciliation happening within Google Places. Most issues just need time to be resolved which I know is not the answer you want to hear. I would try the "report a problem" feature and see if they can give you some insight into what is going on.

I bet it does not like 14b-15b Main Street in the dashboard.

You put this in parenthesis (changed to 14b).
So are you saying you already changed that in dash?

Because then further down you say "So, it's reporting 14b-15b Main Street on the Google places dashboard"

So I'm confused by what's in dash now. Did you change it or try to?
Can you just use 14b and see if that fixes it?

Hi Linda, sorry for the confusion - I'll try and explain a bit better.

It's actually changing the "14b" (on it's own)

and changing it to "14b - 15b"

In Google Places dashboard, it's reported the change as:

14b - 15b
Main Street (which is what I want)

But, on the live listing, it's now got rid of the whole top line so now we have:

Main Street

ONLY.

Any ideas on what may have happened? :confused:

Oh that's backwards from what I understood above.

I still say I don't think Google likes 14b - 15b as an address format so maybe it's just ignoring or refusing to show it, or choking on it.

Have you checked it in MM to see if the edit is pending review there or anything?

Do you mean Map Maker? Unfortunately, it still isn't available in the UK (and that's where I'm based which is very irritating!:mad:

Issue 755 - google-mapmaker - Open the UK for mapping in map maker - Google Map Maker Issue Tracker - Google Project Hosting

Linda, I completely dislike "14b - 15b" as well but unfortunately, this is the address that the client has built up - If there is a problem with (very odd!) format, I will obviously have to go through the process of changing it - I don't like the way there is a space, but this has come before me. How likely do you think it is that the format is causing a problem. (but I realize it's difficult to say)!:confused:

Is there any evidence of addresses (that you know) that have got through with it?

Oops forgot no MM in UK.

How long ago did you make the change?

If it's been awhile you could use the incorrect troubleshooter and see if Google will correct the live address to reflect what's in dash. If not they will explain what address format would be excepted.

Sorry for the late reply.

It was changed a while ago, and it looks like the change will not budge.

I've now reported the problem (through maps) as incorrect. This is the first time I've had to do this for a listing.

What are the response times like? - Can this get it changed?

Thanks in advance :)

Oh not sure reporting it through maps will help.

My recommendation was to use the troubleshooter so you'd get in touch with a support rep you could communicate back and forth with. A support rep can also see inside your dash, to see that's how it was entered.

When I've done basic map edits I've gotten changes done fast. Normally within a couple days. But they were obvious easy edits. The reason I said to use troubleshooter is this address formatting is a little out of the ordinary and I'm not sure they'll make it. Plus you could get a MM volunteer that's not very skilled and changes it to something funky. So for something unique I prefer to work with an actual support rep.

So I guess wait 3 days. See if it gets changed. If not then use the troubleshooter. (Be sure to be logged into client account.)

Oh sorry I thought everyone in the biz knew about the troubleshooter. But I'm amazed at how many I train don't. I teach that the troubeshooter should be your new best friend and 1st line of defense for problems.

There are actually 2 troubleshooters. One for verification probs and one for dupes, missing listings, incorrect data on listings, etc. They are both linked on home page of help docs.
http://support.google.com/places

Here is direct link to the incorrect data troubleshooter: My listing has incorrect information
(Be sure to be logged into the right client account each time you use it.

In about a week you'll get a REAL reply from a REAL person. Not a canned, no reply email like "report a problem". You can reply back if needed to explain more or if the problem does not get resolved.

We recently updated our photo a few days ago through Google Places for Business. It has still not updated on the G+ page. In fact, instead of displaying the old photo, the default places "photo" is shown.

Linda:

I don't know if this has always been the case or not, but in every response I get from the Google Troubleshooter, they always "lecture" me to use the Report a Problem link instead on future issues.

In what specific instances would you recommend Report a Problem vs. Troubleshooter? I've been using Troubleshooter for everything.

Travis Van Slooten

Oh sorry I thought everyone in the biz knew about the troubleshooter. But I'm amazed at how many I train don't. I teach that the troubeshooter should be your new best friend and 1st line of defense for problems.

There are actually 2 troubleshooters. One for verification probs and one for dupes, missing listings, incorrect data on listings, etc. They are both linked on home page of help docs.
http://support.google.com/places

Here is direct link to the incorrect data troubleshooter: My listing has incorrect information
(Be sure to be logged into the right client account each time you use it.

In about a week you'll get a REAL reply from a REAL person. Not a canned, no reply email like "report a problem". You can reply back if needed to explain more or if the problem does not get resolved.

What do you do if your problem is not listed under fix your problem? They do not allow you to post/sent your problem until you go through the trouble shooter. Should I pick a close issue?

Not sure I'd do that.

Can you explain the problem in general and maybe we can suggest best way to get help.

My listing is pending being reviewed. So it appeared that others were contacting google to find out what is wrong and to expedite the process. When I go into the trouble shooter there is nothing for that type of problem.

Oh is this re the same problem you already mentioned?

Did you see my Q in the other thread re this part of your other post?
"he does use a business service as his address"?

There is not an option to get help for pending review.
The listing is still live, right?

If you just got in compliance I would wait at least a month. BUT I'm still not certain that's the only problem on that listing because again, violating the hide address rule normally ends with removal not pending review. That's why I asked you to post a new thread with all the details. Plus then we would not have Q & As for this client scattered in 2 different threads mixed in with other people's problems, we could have everything focused on your problem, all in one place.

If the listing disappears and is no longer live, then you can report "my listing does not show". Or for listings that are STUCK in pending for over 2 months, I recommend a "POKE" wait 5 days and if that does not work then report as missing listing.

BUT again if listing is still live and changes were just made and it's not been in pending very long I would not report it, I'd wait for support to get to it.

On a thread looking at an address starting '1-4' in Dublin Flash said hyphenated street nos were not supported in Maps.

My tests in Maps navigating to the address showed that '1-4' was parsed to 4 for the search.

So I advised to use 1 only, or 4 if that affects Street View. I expect real post will get to the right letter box for either choice.

Hey Andrew, welcome to the forum and thanks for posting. Good to know!

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom