More threads by j_holtslander

j_holtslander

Reaction score
Have a client that's recently rebranded under a new business name.
Their website is currently redirecting 301 redirecting olddomain.com to newdomain.com

Can't seem to get GMB to take all the updates

Edits already approved and currently live:
  • Business title (Old name to New name)
  • Appointment URL (olddomain.com/book to newdomain.com/book)
Edits not allowed/disapproved:
  • Website URL (reverts to olddomain.com minutes later.)
Edits are being performed by a Manager level user.

Tempted to try while logged in as the Owner level user but I don't want to risk a suspension.

Thoughts?

Are they using anything like Yext or Moz Local that could be preventing changes?

Can you check to make sure the new domain is crawled & indexed and that there are no warnings in Search Console? Also, check to make sure you're using the version that's indexed (http vs https etc).

newdomain.com in SC reads:

Sitemap: Last read Jan 20th 2020
Coverage: Processing data, please check again in a day or so

Too soon?

Just got off the phone with GMB support. They had me replicate the issue so they could see the problem first hand. They are going to have to manually make the change on our behalf since the system refuses to accept it. The lady theorized that it *may* have to do with the 301 redirect tripping up their validation/verification systems. She didn't sound certain as to why.

Yeah, it sounds like it's too soon. If Search Console has no data on the site, GMB often won't accept it.

I think that there would be no problem if make the website change in the GMB dash as an Owner anyway...

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom