More threads by bluehabit

Reaction score
When I first created my google places business listing their was an option that asked for your preference to show or hide the address that google displayed. I chose to hide my personal address, yet it shows it with a pinpoint on the map. In addition, if you google my business name, google autocompletes it showing my full personal address. I assume its pulling that information from the G+ profile page.

I don't really feel comfortable with google showing my personal address when my site brings in organic traffic everyday, and who knows who is viewing the content.

Is there anyway I can hide my personal residence, or perhaps switch it to a UPS mail suite. It looks like an actual address and its not a PO box for instance 4600 Cooper Arlington Texas STE 131-220 76013.

Picture of issue
issue.png

Thanks everyone

issue.png

Actually service area businesses that serve customers at their address and especially if it's a home business MUST hide their address on Google+ Local. It's a violation if you don't. What it's supposed to do is only show your city on the live listing with a round dot that is in the center of your general area. You didn't give a link to your live listing but it looks like the address is hidden on the listing and on maps search, correct?

If your marker is showing your exact location I think it's cuz you missed a setting. Right above where it says 20 mile radius, tick that box and add just your city, no zip. Then it will put your marker right in the center of the city. (If you add zip it will place it in center of zip.)

However there was a Map Maker update a couple weeks ago and it exposed hidden addresses on Map Maker, I wonder if that's what's causing the problem you experience with auto-complete. I had not heard that problem before.

I just tried it and didn't get address with auto-complete. And it seems odd that auto-complete would add address. Can you tell me the exact search term you are using? When I type Feltus Family Homes and then start to type city, it helps me type city but that's all. I even typed Feltus Family Homes 40... to start your address (which a customer would not know what it was so would never type that) and it still didn't auto-complete address.

No you can't use USPS or UPS or any other mail service or virtual address. It's a violation. Must be your actual address you work from, even if that's home.

Thank you Linda so much for taking the time to look into this and offer your feedback

"If your marker is showing your exact location I think it's cuz you missed a setting. Right above where it says 20 mile radius, tick that box and add just your city, no zip. Then it will put your marker right in the center of the city."

I changed this setting and saved it in the dashboard (as shown in image below). Hopefully I did it correctly and once the changes go live it won't show a dot on google maps directly on my personal residence.

In regards to autocomplete, it was doing autocomplete on my address just by typing in my companies name. Perhaps it is because I do it while logged into my G+ account? I will have to try on another computer.

example_fix.jpg

example_fix.jpg

Yes that setting is correct now.

Yes I think you've typed it before or checked name address or something that makes Google think that's the info you are looking for.

But if you search from another computer, not logged in or have a friend double check, I don't think it will happen.

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom