More threads by Localwinner

Reaction score
Hi there,

I am having problems with my own agency profile at google. I have 2 profiles:

https://plus.google.com/117879424502565867379
(Correct Name, but no cover Picture)

https://plus.google.com/117375260589915421759
(Wrong Name, but Cover Picture)

I am not sure, what kind of pages these are and how to get them to merge. Can anybody give tell me the trick? My aim is having the local verified profile plus a cover picture. The second I dont need.

I already tried the following article, but for some reasons the mentions buttons dont exist in my case:
https://support.google.com/business/answer/6010825?p=connect_maps&hl=en&authuser=0&rd=1

Thx alot for your help!

Yes Justin is right. These are 2 different types of pages and no way to merge.

The other way to tell what type of page is whether there is a review pencil icon under the follow button.

Important to know how to tell the different types of pages apart when dealing with new cleints, so you know what they have.

Thx Linda & Dustin for your quick replies!

So let me repeat, so once and for all I get it straight :)

Google+ Business --> If it has a "my Story" widget on it, it is a google+ Business or a personal google+ profile. Besides that it will never rank in serps (?)

Google My Business Page --> Always has a pencil below its profile picture and I cannot upload a cover Picture for it (or can I?)

Are there other kind of pages? Google+ Local, Google Places, Google WTF ;-)

Really got lost with all those different names circulating out there :-(

Thx Linda & Dustin for your quick replies!

So let me repeat, so once and for all I get it straight :)

Google+ Business --> If it has a "my Story" widget on it, it is a google+ Business or a personal google+ profile. Besides that it will never rank in serps (?)

Google My Business Page --> Always has a pencil below its profile picture and I cannot upload a cover Picture for it (or can I?)

Are there other kind of pages? Google+ Local, Google Places, Google WTF ;-)

Really got lost with all those different names circulating out there :-(

GMB yes you CAN upload pictures. All the claimed listings you see have them right?
You need to be logged into GMB.

Re names; I tried to cover some of this in the beginning of the training you went through but I know it's confusing.

GMB is the name of the business owner or consultant's dashboard.

G+ Local is the name of the public facing page you see.

Google Places is the same as both above, just the old previous name.

Thx again Linda!

Ok, I hope now I have understand the difference between GMB (which is just the dashboard and not directly has anything to do with the public displayed profile (= Google+ Local), which might display some other infos then what I entered in GMB). Is that roughly what you say?

Concerning the cover picture: So when I am logged in GMB, I don't see a section where I can upload the cover picture. I can only add individual photos or change the profile picture. Also when I am on the Google+ Local Profile itself (so not in GMB) there is no hovering over the cover photo to change it.... Though it displays I am admin of that page in blue above.

Once you are logged into GMB and looking at all your pages, click on the blue button "Manage This Page". This will take you to the dashboard of that GMB page where you can edit. Once here you click on the +yourbusiness link in the top right. It will bring you to your GMB that people see. From there just roll over the Cover photo and click "Change Cover"

Justin, you made my day! You guiding me helped me.

I always went to GMB and then via the "edit" function and the Bottom-Links below, but those always took me to my profile from a public perspective. Your way took me to my profile as an owner and there I could change it. And now I also understand what it means when my ID appears twice in the URL: I am then in this edit mode, while I am in public when the ID only appears once.... At least that's how it appears to me.

One last question: Hence I have a google+ Local Profile, do I really need the old Google+ Business, if it does not appear in the serps anyway? I believe I could then just delete it, since I never did much with it....

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom