More threads by hollypowell

Reaction score
Need some expert opinions please:

To protect my clients client identity I'm using a different business close by as it brings up the same questions that I have:

maps address shows:
https://www.google.com/maps
BROTHER'S PIZZA ON RT. 33
871 NJ-33
Hamilton Township, NJ 08619

If I put in to usps.com
[h=3]You entered:[/h] BROTHER'S PIZZA ON RT. 33
871 NJ-33
HAMILTON NJ

I receive Unfortunately, this address wasn't found.

usps.com
871 NJ-33
HAMILTON TOWNSHIP NJ

Unfortunately, this address wasn't found.
So usps doesn't like the NJ-33

USPS.COM - if I enter the following:
871 Rte 33
HAMILTON TOWNSHIP NJ

usps returns
871 ROUTE 33
TRENTON NJ 08619-4411

usps.com - if I enter the following:
871 RTE 33
HAMILTON NJ

usps returns:
871 ROUTE 33
HAMILTON NJ 08619-4411

For NAP consistency I'm at a loss on this one and would appreciate any feedback.

Hi Holly,

But I just wanted to say Google does not map to USPS addresses. It maps to physical location on maps which can be different.

I have not looked any of that up so am only speaking in general terms... But I'd double check the address Google maps gave you in Map Maker just to be sure. Cuz depending on where and how you did the maps lookup Google sometimes abbreviates for display purposes. I think you can pretend to add a business and as you type in the address it will give you a drop down of the exact address format Google thinks is correct.

So after you double check everything in Maps and MM, I'd use that address UNLESS it's technically incorrect. Google can be wrong sometimes.

Then use that address format Google likes in GMB and for all the citations you can. There may be a citation mess out there already from all those address variations. However Google is pretty good at matching up standard address variations and abbreviations so I'd be consistent with new ones and not lose a whole lot of sleep over existing ones. Except if there are any important citation sources that have the other city listed, I'd try to fix those.

Anyone else have suggestions?

Linda,

Thanks for this - interestingly enough MM spells out the NJ-33 to New Jersey 33 - LOL giving me another version.

I will work on this and with your tips get it right.

I was going to echo what Linda said. Never us USPS to validate addresses that you use on Google Maps. Mailing addresses & physically addresses are totally different.

For example, my house has a different city as it's mailing address than what it has for its physical address because my mail is sent to a different post office. If I used the equivalent of USPS (I'm in Canada) it would totally list the wrong city and wouldn't' be what Google wants. If you want to know what city to use, go to MapMaker and drop a marker down on the exact spot and see what city it lists (do this by adding a new fake business but not actually completing the form to add it).

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom