More threads by RattlingTram

RattlingTram

Reaction score
Hello friends - newbie to the forum here - I've recently started a solo agency here in Melbourne Australia - but SEO is NOT my long suit

Just built a site for a new veterinary clinic, and I can add schema JSON code without too much difficulty normally - but I'm stumped by this thing about vet clinics being part of the schema "medical-health science EXTENSION" rather than the core shcema.org

Trying to find anything sensible in reasonably plain english about what's required to code up a page which needs to use these extensions and finding absolutely nothing. For now I've just tagged the "additional type" as Class: Veterinary physician with core type as "MedicalClinic".

Basically the questions are
1 - will what I have do for local SEO purposes?
2 - is anyone doing anything MORE optimal for a vet clinic anywhere?
3 - could anyone point be to a fairly plain english article about schema extensions?

Big up to the community for any help in advance!!

Hi @RattlingTram

A schema extension is simply a specific set of definitions that enable webmasters to add a more detailed vocabulary about their business. VeterinaryCare falls under the MedicalOrganisation which IS a core property.

Given there are so many types of medical organisations, a separate library has been set up -> health-lifesci.

In this instance, if it were me doing it, I'd use two types: VeterinaryCare and LocalBusiness.
Eg "@type": ["VeterinaryCare","LocalBusiness"].

VeterinaryCare is the most specific schema setup for your client
Since VeterinaryCare is an offshoot of MedicalOrganisation which is offshoot of Organisation, you don't have the option for business hours. (why is a mystery to me, but that's what the doco shows)

So you add another type of LocalBusiness, and that allows you to specify biz hrs.

Thankyou Margaret - that's everything I needed to know.

PS I just looked you up, because I think I'm going to need someone like you handy here - do you have any experience with recovering GMB listings from any Google penalties? In which case I *may* have a gig for you

This client hasn't given me full access yet - they either haven't taken the listing live or there's some sort of penalty here - possibly because they have the word "hospital" in their brand?

Anyway I need to do more digging myself first - but basically can you help with penalised GMB listings?

Many thanks again!
-Adam

Hi @RattlingTram

A schema extension is simply a specific set of definitions that enable webmasters to add a more detailed vocabulary about their business. VeterinaryCare falls under the MedicalOrganisation which IS a core property.

Given there are so many types of medical organisations, a separate library has been set up -> health-lifesci.

In this instance, if it were me doing it, I'd use two types: VeterinaryCare and LocalBusiness.
Eg "@type": ["VeterinaryCare","LocalBusiness"].

VeterinaryCare is the most specific schema setup for your client
Since VeterinaryCare is an offshoot of MedicalOrganisation which is offshoot of Organisation, you don't have the option for business hours. (why is a mystery to me, but that's what the doco shows)

So you add another type of LocalBusiness, and that allows you to specify biz hrs.

@RattlingTram you might also want to incorporate Review Schema so that your vet may stand out in Google with stars :) There is a good video from Local Marketing Institute about Schema and it talks about starting with theory - which you are doing. VIP - Local Marketing Institute - note that the video is available to VIP users but they do have a free trial (and I am not associated in any way other than love their material) :)

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

LocalU Webinar

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom