Highlighted Areas in Google+ Local?

dboi941

Forum Member
Does anyone know why all the areas are highlighted is this clients Google+ account?
I havent seen this till today. I just didnt know if there is something I need to worry about?

proxy.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Fimageshack.us%2Fa%2Fimg827%2F6296%2F56711823.png&hash=19069724757aa314ae6c0ecd60a7cfad

Colan Nielsen

Administrator
Administrator
I've never seen this. Is it highlighted only when you are logged in?

---------- Post Merged at 06:40 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 06:34 PM ----------

I just checked a listing that I had made edits to the address. The edits were not approved and the address is highlighted just like in your example. So maybe it's due to unapproved edits??

dboi941

Forum Member
I've never seen this. Is it highlighted only when you are logged in?

---------- Post Merged at 06:40 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 06:34 PM ----------

I just checked a listing that I had made edits to the address. The edits were not approved and the address is highlighted just like in your example. So maybe it's due to unapproved edits??
That would make sense cause the address is missing the #113 number and it wouldnt approved the edits, but I never edit the name or phone number and ther still highlighted. Hmmmmm

Linda Buquet

I never do any G+ editing but just logged into my own account and in edit mode all the same areas are highlighted except the map. Isn't it just highlighting the areas you can edit?

FYI I looked at live listing and don't see any problems. Except should not repeat the city they are in - in description. I always thought it could cause a ranking penalty and then Mike recently mentioned yes, 10 point ranking penalty.

Now I strongly believe you should not repeat the city that's in their address field in dash. I 'think' mentioning the next city over is maybe OK. So think you could say "serving the local area including Bradenton", just don't repeat Sarasota.

Since you've merged this listing, you were aware that you now should not do any edits in Places dash right? Just mentioning because many folks don't know that.

dboi941

Forum Member
I never do any G+ editing but just logged into my own account and in edit mode all the same areas are highlighted except the map. Isn't it just highlighting the areas you can edit?

FYI I looked at live listing and don't see any problems. Except should not repeat the city they are in - in description. I always thought it could cause a ranking penalty and then Mike recently mentioned yes, 10 point ranking penalty.

Now I strongly believe you should not repeat the city that's in their address field in dash. I 'think' mentioning the next city over is maybe OK. So think you could say "serving the local area including Bradenton", just don't repeat Sarasota.

Since you've merged this listing, you were aware that you now should not do any edits in Places dash right? Just mentioning because many folks don't know that.
Thanks for your advice about the listing Ill take it out.
I did stop doing edits in Places the only one I tryed to do is move my categories around because the Local page only showing two categories insteed of all five so I was trying to get them to show up. Do you know how to get them to show up?
Thanks Linda

Linda Buquet

The example I looked at had the address highlighted but the description was not.
All my areas were highlighted like his. BUT forgot to mention I also did have the notice that some edits were not approved. BUT I have not edited anything so no idea what that's about.

Except should not repeat the city they are in - in description. I always thought it could cause a ranking penalty and then Mike recently mentioned yes, 10 point ranking penalty.
Hmmm, there's an exception to every rule. Was researching something totally diff. Found a Chiro ranking #1 who has city, state twice and still ranks.

Finish Line Chiropractic - About - Google+

?Finish Line Chiropractic - Burnsville Minnesota Chiropractors. We are just one phone call away. Your Family Chiropractor in Burnsville, MN.?

Colan Nielsen

Administrator
Administrator
I did stop doing edits in Places the only one I tryed to do is move my categories around because the Local page only showing two categories insteed of all five so I was trying to get them to show up. Do you know how to get them to show up?
Thanks Linda
I rarely see listings with more than 2 categories displaying. One thing I have noticed is that the listings that I have seen with 5 categories showing have all been pre-selected categories, nothing custom. And they usually don't match up exactly with what's in the places dashboard.

Another thing I noticed is that the primary category on Map Maker usually displays on the G+ Local page.

Linda Buquet

Yes Google stopped showing all the cats. I posted about it right after it happened. Often only one shows so you are lucky to have 2.

She still reads them and you still rank for them. You can prove this by searching maps for city + one of the cats that's not showing. Then you'll see that cat listed there in map search. So it's just a display issue that the other cats don't show on the G+L listing.

dboi941

Forum Member
Yes Google stopped showing all the cats. I posted about it right after it happened. Often only one shows so you are lucky to have 2.

She still reads them and you still rank for them. You can prove this by searching maps for city + one of the cats that's not showing. Then you'll see that cat listed there in map search. So it's just a display issue that the other cats don't show on the G+L listing.
Yes I have done that and I do see ranking for all cats but the two that show I rank 1st page and the 3 cats that dont show are on page 8 or 9. IDK if thats the cause or if I need to do more work for the other keywords/Cats. Its odd because I have done tons of work for "Air Conditioning" and it ranks poor and does not show cat in + Local but "HVAC Contractor" does show as a cat and I have done no work for it as far as website goes or linking and its on first page. I think it does matter if they show or not because of that, I may be wrong thats just what I have experienced with it.

Linda Buquet

I think it depends on competition too. So for instance IF (and I don't know that market) but IF Air Conditioning is the primary default category then it's going to be the hardest to rank for no matter how you cut it because everyone, even all the unclaimed Place pages G will give that cat to. Let me use example easier for me...

ALL Dentist Place pages Google will usually give the default cat Dentist. So there may be only 100 actual Dentists in a city and only 60 claimed place pages but there will be a total of 180 Dentist Place pages total (including unclaimed dupes etc, but even the ones unclaimed G will give the default cat Dentist.) But for teeth whitening, one of the most popular Dental cats, only the Places that are claimed AND where that cat was added are going to be competing. So there may only be 40 listings optimized for teeth whitening - compared to 180 for Dentist. So I've gotten lots of Dentists #1 for Teeth whitening without doing anything except adding it to their cats. But getting rankings for Dentist is much harder.

So back to topic of the hidden cats. My Dentists that were #1 for teeth whitening still are, even though that cat no longer shows on any or their pages. They all only show Dentist or Cosmetic Dentist.

But there are lots of other things at play too that could be affecting what you are experiencing.

Colan Nielsen

Administrator
Administrator
All my areas were highlighted like his. BUT forgot to mention I also did have the notice that some edits were not approved. BUT I have not edited anything so no idea what that's about.
I had that same notice. I tried to add a suite# to the address a while back and it's not there now, so I assumed that's what the message was in regards to.

I recently added a suite number to our address in the Google Plus platform (actually required me to re-verify our listing even after we merged everything), as that's what we originally had in the back end of our old Google Places account but wasn't displaying in the front end.

Now once logged into my account our business name, address, phone number and description are all highlighted and in our places dashboard our listing is 'under review' anyone seen this issue yet?

I would imagine, because we added a suite number - it requires some human intervention? Any idea how long this will take?

Linda Buquet

Not sure on time frames for edit approvals. Google 'says' a few days.

Edits to verified local Google+ pages appearing - Google+ Help

Edits that you make to your verified local Google+ page may be subject to review, so you may not see your changes reflected immediately. After you?ve saved your changes, three things can happen:

Some edits may go live shortly
Some edits may be pending review
Some edits may be rejected

Pending edits
You may see a message at the top of your page if any of your edits may still be in review. When you first verify your business listing your information is also subject to review. Note that in either of these cases, the review process may take several business days.

I recently added a suite number to our address in the Google Plus platform (actually required me to re-verify our listing even after we merged everything), as that's what we originally had in the back end of our old Google Places account but wasn't displaying in the front end.

Now once logged into my account our business name, address, phone number and description are all highlighted and in our places dashboard our listing is 'under review' anyone seen this issue yet?

I would imagine, because we added a suite number - it requires some human intervention? Any idea how long this will take?
It will take as long as it takes for someone to approve and publish your edit. Because its an address change (adding a suite constitutes an address change) it requires approval which is done via Map Maker. Which means days to months.

It will take as long as it takes for someone to approve and publish your edit. Because its an address change (adding a suite constitutes an address change) it requires approval which is done via Map Maker. Which means days to months.
Address change... days to months for approval? Yikes! Have a client in Colorado who just moved his store after a long, long, long time. I'll need to definitely give him a heads up on this one once they open the doors at their new location. Honestly though, I think updating Google will be less of an uphill battle than what it is going to take to update all of the citations out there with the old address.

The issue that I have, is that the suite number was displayed in the back end in Google Places dashboard, but wasn't displayed as such in the Google+ Local page. I made the edit in the Google+ Local platform to include the suite number, so once this map maker person does the review, will it show the suite number in Google+ Local?

Google, why you so confusing!? :(

Can anyone expand on the yellow highlighted text issue? Is there any other Google docs on this, or why something may have been highlighted? If there is something wrong with it, what to do to remedy?

For one of my clients, there is a yellow highlight for the name, introduction and website. For another client, the highlighted areas include the introduction, hours and address.