More threads by mikepcservice

The official name of the business is AG Electrical Services Inc. but it is a heating repair service which is what's confusing me. This is the site here:

To address the local pack issue, I am thinking to show in the 3 pack is always best option?

oh... I see what you are saying (sorry, it took me a second). So using BrightLocal, simply download all of your citations into a CSV, then copy and paste that list into ahrefs and sort the DR from highest to lowest.... that's the process I was referring to -- that way you are working with actual / live citations for your business.

Then make the page title something like: "AG Electric Services Inc. - Sitemap"

The purpose of this page isn't necessarily to rank in search results, but to provide crawlers an easy way to find deep pages on your site. Page title should explain the pages contents and doesn't necessarily need to drive CTR (i.e. no point in stuffing keywords).

Don't think of the local pack vs. organic question as one or the other. Typically you want to rank in both right? Best option possible would be to be #1 in map pack and #1 in organic.

I can send you some studies if you are interested, but it's a very well known fact that anytime the map pack shows up, the majority of clicks are going to go there. So, perform the keywords you want to rank for on your phone and see if the map pack shows up. If it does, I would prioritize being there.

You can dig a bit further by looking into some data on whether or not your users/customers are more mobile or desktop drive, but I can make some of my own assumptions and guess being in the map pack is probably more important to a local small business.

Then make the page title something like: "AG Electric Services Inc. - Sitemap"

The purpose of this page isn't necessarily to rank in search results, but to provide crawlers an easy way to find deep pages on your site.

Typically you want to rank in both right? Best option possible would be to be #1 in map pack and #1 in organic.

Thanks. With the new page, for crawling purposes, under which Nav Menu tab would you recommend I let that page sit or should I add it as another tab in the menu?

Last edited:
To clarify, my developer who had created an XML Sitemap had asked if he should create an HMTL sitemap in the footer. Should I do that or create a page as mentioned and ask him to put that page in the footer please?

HTML sitemap in the footer = the same thing we have been talking about in this thread

They are the same thing.

Again, I haven't gone back and re-read my comments... but I'm 100% certain (because its what we do) that I would've recommended using ahrefs to identify the top 20th percentile of the most authoritative links > assessing what the actual count is with that > and then - at a measured pace - adding the links to your page (sitemap).

Bobby:

I've never done this for my clients before so I'm curious if you can provide more details. Specifically:

1. Can you provide a link to a HTML sitemap you've created with citations listed - or provide a partial screenshot of such a page? If not, can you describe how you group these links? Do you title them something like, "See Our Listings on These Sites" - and then you list the citation listings underneath the title?

2. I'm assuming you dofollow these links

Travis

I hope all the above suggestions are enough to make your point clear. Still, if you want to optimize a particular keyword, then do focus on that particular one. Use that keyword in all your SEO strategies, like guest blogging, press release, link building etc.

@Travis Van Slooten -- hello Travis... please DM me and I'll share links to some sitemaps that we build for clients.

It will make perfect sense once you see the live links.

P.S. Please DO NOT re-share the links in the public forum / feeds here on LSF... thank you!

Thank you sir,

Bobby

I hope all the above suggestions are enough to make your point clear. Still, if you want to optimize a particular keyword, then do focus on that particular one. Use that keyword in all your SEO strategies, like guest blogging, press release, link building etc.

Yes, the info helps. However guys, I want to focus on 2 main kw's for my bud's site which are "boiler repair and heating repair", both with near me attached to it. I want to ask my content writer to write one weekly blog with the latest interesting content which will attract the attention of anyone interested in heating repair.

Can you guys tell me what should be the best way for her to write each unique article with those 2 kw's please? I had tried placing those kw's like "heating repair near me" into the content a few times but typing heating repair on google and selecting "near me" from the google suggest did not bring any results at all.

Problem with this is also which is better to use the kw "boiler repair near me" or boiler repair queens" since the bud works mainly in Queens, NY? Right now he is on page 4 for Boiler Repair Queens.

According to Textbroker's Analyzer is it showing only 150 monthly searches for Boiler Repair Queens and 237 for Boiler Repair Brooklyn:

Any recommendations please guys?

Screen Shot 2019-10-22 at 9.37.53 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-10-22 at 9.38.56 AM.png

Last edited:
Who ranks #1 for that term when you search for it? Are you expecting the blog posts you write to outrank them?

Is there a map pack result at the top when you perform that search on desktop/mobile? If so putting more emphasis into local SEO may be of bigger benefit than writing blog content.

Either way, you would want a location style page on your website to rank for those terms. That is what the users intent is looking for when they perform that type of search. If you put location information on that page (your address, the areas you serve) in the content, meta data, link to it from other pages on your site using decent anchor text, build external local links, etc. then you might have a chance to rank organically.

Either way, you would want a location style page on your website to rank for those terms.

There are 2 competitors who rank at the top for many kw's in this field more than any others, they are Ranshaw.com and plumbing4nyc.com

Yes I am thinking to post 1 blog per week with great content to try to outrank them.

Yes there is a map pack, see screenshot below.

I am not clear on what you mean by location style page, can you clarify please? This is my bud's site: Boiler and Heating Repair Service Technician Queens,New York

Screen Shot 2019-10-22 at 11.26.50 AM.png

Writing blog posts is not going to help you achieve your goal in my opinion. Sorry to put it bluntly but I think you would be wiser to spend your time and energy elsewhere.

Let me ask you a question above your screenshot above: would it be more important for you to rank in the map pack, or in the traditional organic blue-link results below the map pack?

If the answer to your question is map pack is more important, then I would spend a good about of your time and energy optimizing for local SEO as I mentioned a few days ago. That is what gets you to rank int he map pack, not blog posts.

Let me ask you a question above your screenshot above: would it be more important for you to rank in the map pack, or in the traditional organic blue-link results below the map pack?

Both if possible so the blog posts should help with the SERP'S, not so?

If the answer to your question is map pack is more important, then I would spend a good about of your time and energy optimizing for local SEO as I mentioned a few days ago. That is what gets you to rank int he map pack, not blog posts.

For Map Pack are you referring to the html Footer linking back to the local citations?

Both if possible so the blog posts should help with the SERP'S, not so?

Yelp ranks #1 for "boiler repair queens" and then some local business pages like this:

I do not think that blog posts are going to compete with those pages organically for that term. They may help you rank for longer tail searches with less competition, where the users intent is to read a blog style piece of content. But when someone searches for a business/service + a location (like "boiler repair queens") then they have a very high likelihood to click the map pack results, or one of the top listing to look for an address/phone number.

When your query is that top of funnel/transactional, you are looking for quick info not a blog post.

For Map Pack are you referring to the html Footer linking back to the local citations?

The map pack refers to the local listings that were displayed below the ads in the screenshot you sent. With the business info for 3 locations below the map with links to directions to the business, or click to call if you are on mobile. Ranking in that area has a different set of criteria than the traditional organic results.

If I were that local business, I would start my efforts by optimizing my GMB listing. I'm not even sure they have one.

The GMB for the bud's site is as optimized as best as I can do it complete with new posts each time a blog is posted. So I have no idea what else can be done to further optimize it aside from adding more regular fresh content?

The page that the GMB listing points to is the homepage of the site, which only mentions Queens on the page 1 time. You aren't sending very good signals to Google that you have a great page that would serve the people of Queens.

Have you checked backlink profiles between your site and the ones that rank in the map pack? I'm guessing they have more localized links.

I'll refer you back to this list on the important ranking factors for local SEO: Local Search Ranking Factors Study 2018 - Local SEO | Moz

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom