How to find categories

Is there a resource for finding categories for a specific niche?

Last edited by a moderator:

Linda Buquet

If it's too niche for categories to show in Mike's category tool then it might be too niche for local.

Have you searched for City + Main Keyword - (with location set to that city) to see if Google even shows local for that type of business category?

In the past if it was too niche, you'd have to pick the primary general industry category that was closest and then create a custom category. But custom cats are going away with the new dashboard.

Cleaner44

Inactive
When the category tool doesn't find what I need, I usually will look for high ranking competitiors to see how they are categorized.

Linda Buquet

Great point! Also do a yellow page search and see if you find some categories or do a Google search and see if any related searches show at bottom of the page.

Colan Nielsen

Administrator
By the way, has anyone else noticed how cool it is that in the new dashboard you can add more than 5 categories?
Very cool. Like, Bruce Willis in Die Hard cool.

Question: Would you rather?.....

10 categories with no custom cat options

OR

5 categories with custom cat options

Phil Rozek

Local Search Expert
Yippee-ki-yay...Mr. Falcon.

OR

I think it totally depends on how many categories Google offers, and how granular they are. I don't foresee Google doing a real good job of making its categories list more robust over time. So for now, I'd rather have my trusty custom categories back.

So if I starting typing in keywords + city and there is no 7-pack, is it not worth going after those keywords?

---------- Post Merged at 06:45 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 06:43 AM ----------

How do you check to see the categories a competitor has?

Linda Buquet

If the KWs don't pull local results then no it's not worth taking up one of the precious 5 categories.

Find their G+ Local page, click on edit details, then it will show you all their cats.

Cleaner44

Inactive

OR

I would rather have unlimited standard categories and 1 custom category.

Trending: Most Viewed

Local Search Forum

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe

Google Product Exert

@LocalSearchLink

Join Our Facebook Group