More threads by C!Note

C!Note

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Just to preface the question, I've been doing SEO and various bits of digital marketing for almost as long as Google's been around.
However, recently decided to launch a new business where the focus is on local marketing, and so I see local SEO as a natural fit.

As it's a bit different from regular SEO I'm just wondering how everyone here pitches local SEO?
We all know that using terms such as meta, title tags, citations will bring the glazed-over look, so what does everyone focus on to get business owners to buy in?

Thanks

Well, I ranted about this here: Chad Kimball Google Maps Elite Rant but you have to focus on the fact that the work you will do for them will get their phone to ring with customers. Many of them barely know how google maps works, so saying "3pack" etc.. will draw blank stares. But if you tell them, I can increase your phone calls by X per day.. or even better, "how about I send you some free leads this week and then we can talk later and find out if you want to work with us long term."

The main thing we track here is conversions. For local businesses that is generally phone calls, form fills on their website & chats. Showing them how these numbers increase month-over-month is what keeps people long-term.

I think improving views and brand awareness is something else that often goes overlooked in the sales process. As SEO's, it doesn't always have to be "we can get your phone ringing". I never sell keyword rankings, ie focusing on improving rankings for certain keywords, because what happens when they're ranking in snack pack, they've paid you for 6 months, and they're not getting cases/customers?

If you're improving the client's website usability, citation footprint, on and off-page SEO, etc. then views on Google My Business should naturally improve. If conversions aren't where they need to be, you can help the business improve their internal processes for generating reviews.

1. intro you and your companies experience, reference a positive client
2. tell them what's wrong with their current situation without getting too technical
3. tell them what you can do to solve those issues and what it would mean for their business (discuss your services and reporting)
4. ask questions throughout the convo and end with asking if its okay to send a proposal outlining everything you discussed
5. send proposal within 1-3 days...follow up w/email and call until they respond.
6. repeat.

I totally agree with everyone else in that it's important to highlight the value that you're bringing to the prospect's business, whether that's views/traffic, calls/appointments. or actual customers.

That said, using the right analogy can be helpful. When you're talking anything digital, just compare it to signage on their store front. How do people know they're there if there's no physical evidence that they are? That's how you help (digitally).

One of our customers (at Grade.us) talks about how since reviews have such a massive impact on local SEO, they start there. It can be an effective foot-in-the-door strategy to appeal to non-digital business owners.

I totally agree with everyone else in that it's important to highlight the value that you're bringing to the prospect's business, whether that's views/traffic, calls/appointments. or actual customers.

That said, using the right analogy can be helpful. When you're talking anything digital, just compare it to signage on their store front. How do people know they're there if there's no physical evidence that they are? That's how you help (digitally).

One of our customers (at Grade.us) talks about how since reviews have such a massive impact on local SEO, they start there. It can be an effective foot-in-the-door strategy to appeal to non-digital business owners.

2 links promoting grade.us - noice =P

Hi everyone,

Thanks so much for everyone's responses.
Definitely agree about conversions/leads. I do that every day with forms and call tracking.
The hard part is what do you do with local bricks and mortar stores?
Yes, for services you can still do the form/call lead gen, but what about the physical product stores? or the shops that rely on walk-ins?

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Trending: Most Viewed

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom