More threads by Linda Buquet

Linda Buquet

Local Search Expert
Reaction score
Wowser, 2 big updates/improvements in Google Local Land today.

Google just let us know they have EXPANDED PHONE SUPPORT!

Recently they tested phone support, initially it was only for Places verification problems.
Now it's available for data related issues. See screen shot and I'll explain more below.

My listing has incorrect information Troubleshooter

PhoneSupport.jpg

So please make note and don't over-use and abuse it... but right now it's ONLY to be used for data problems covered in the 1st selection bubble.

Listing data, including title, address, phone, URL, "at a glance" terms, categories, hours, description, or coupons

But that covers a large majority of the problems that come up with listings.

TO GET TO PHONE SUPPORT - Go to Incorrect Data Troubleshooter

Tick the 1st button. Then the "CALL US" link. Then you will be taken to the call form below.

GooglePhoneSupport.jpg

Very excited and encouraged to see Google putting many resources into Local now.
This is the biggest announcement so far this year! But more is coming soon. :)

What do you think?
Post and give Google kudos and a big thumbs up!!!

PhoneSupport.jpg

GooglePhoneSupport.jpg

Way to Go Google! This is a big one :D

Can't wait to try it out. Thanks Linda!!!

I'll be damned. Google Local Phone Support!
Pigs fly and hell freezes over! :p :D

I tell you Google+ Local is going to keep surprising us and getting better!

This is totally phenomenal, Linda. My gosh...did half of my job just go away???
:eek:

This is totally phenomenal, Linda. My gosh...did half of my job just go away???
:eek:

I thought about that too. However, even though a phone support feature would ultimately get the solution to the data presentation solved faster, the actual process of talking to someone from Google and explaining things probably takes longer and is more complicated than filling out the form anyway.

So, I think this new support option actually increases the need for us consultants ;)

What do you think?

Google+ is going to be a product that Google is going to want people to use and if there is no other way than digging through forums to figure something out, people wouldn't use it. I'm happy about this.:)

This is totally phenomenal, Linda. My gosh...did half of my job just go away??? :eek:

LOL Miriam! :p No support will only fix broken stuff we can't fix, like when the name gets changed or the categories are wrong.

They aren't going to get in a big long troubleshooting consult and they never will discuss anything to do with ranking.

But I wonder how the phone script will work for getting owners off the call that have numerous major convoluted on-going problems.

"The name changed, then it merged with my competitor, then it spit in half and now I have 3 listings. Then my competitor posted fake reviews. Then Google deleted all my valid reviews. Then someone put suite in FRONT of my street address. Now my phone is gone and my fax is showing instead and my dog died and my truck broke down." :p

Seriously some calls are going to be almost that bad. Wonder how they'll be trained to nip it in the bud and stick to just 'a data issue' without being sucked into these long complicated stories with chronically challenged listings?

Curious to know if Google calls the number associated with the listing, or can you provide a different phone number?

As a consultant, it won't do me much good if Google will only call the office. 99.9% of dentists wouldn't have a clue what to say. Nor would they have the patience to sit through a call.

Hopefully, we can request Google call a different number than the office line.

Hi Chris,

I was able to use my cell phone to verify some clients listings with the original verification "call" feature. I would assume this could work the same.

Curious to know if Google calls the number associated with the listing, or can you provide a different phone number?

As a consultant, it won't do me much good if Google will only call the office. 99.9% of dentists wouldn't have a clue what to say. Nor would they have the patience to sit through a call.

Hopefully, we can request Google call a different number than the office line.

Hey Chris, see the screen shot of the call back screen above?
It lets you enter any number. I'm sure for instance lots of SMBs want call back on their cell.

Please report back as you guys try it and give us your feedback!

Wow. I think I hear the fat lady…she’s singing :)

I may have to do a follow-up post on the one I did earlier this month. It would be interesting to see how good Google is at helping to fix each specific type of problem.

I’m also REALLY curious to get a sense of how many people they have working the phone (i.e. do we always seem to get the same 2-3 people when we call).

Wow! This is great news! Thanks for the post Linda! Have a couple of clients with some places / local issues - excited to try out the phone support :)

Please report back Andrew and let us know how it goes.

Hasn't anyone tried this yet? Please give us some feedback if you do!

Haven't tried it yet - 'report a problem' worked for the first time in a year of trying it finally ... lol!

I've tried it twice. One call was for a listing that isn't displaying a phone number, the other is for an incorrect title displaying.

Both of these issues have been going on for several weeks, and I've used the troubleshooter and report a problem features.

The response from the Google employee on both calls was that there was nothing that he could do specifically, and he would escalate it and get back to me.

That is good news! It's encouraging to see that Google is putting resources behind helping businesses that rely heavily on Local Search!

Kelly

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Trending: Most Viewed

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom