I own it but can't edit the Google+ page

katandmouse

Forum Member
Ok, I feel stupid. I'm in the old dashboard, looking at a list of Place pages. I click on the "See your listing in Google" link and it opens up the Google+ page. But here it doesn't seem to know that I own it as I can't add pictures or anything unless I add a "public" picture or review as an outsider.

I also noticed that in my listing from the Dashboard view there is no Suite #, but that there is a Suite # for the + page that comes up when I click the "see your listing" link. I suspect that when I click that link, it might be pulling up a different account I don't own. Maybe. I don't know. I'm confused and feeling stupid.

Here's the page: https://plus.google.com/101678107344049880629/about?gl=US&hl=en-US

Colan Nielsen

Administrator
Ok, I feel stupid. I'm in the old dashboard, looking at a list of Place pages. I click on the "See your listing in Google" link and it opens up the Google+ page. But here it doesn't seem to know that I own it as I can't add pictures or anything unless I add a "public" picture or review as an outsider.
You have to click on the "edit" link or click on the title of the business and it will take you to the part of the dashboard where you can make edits.

---------- Post Merged at 08:35 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 08:32 AM ----------

I also noticed that in my listing from the Dashboard view there is no Suite #, but that there is a Suite # for the + page that comes up when I click the "see your listing" link. I suspect that when I click that link, it might be pulling up a different account I don't own. Maybe. I don't know. I'm confused and feeling stupid.

Here's the page: https://plus.google.com/101678107344049880629/about?gl=US&hl=en-US
It's probably a partial merge issue going on. Are one of the attorney practitioner listings using that suite#?

Hi Kathy,

Image edits in old dash are taking 6 weeks to never. Other changes are slow too.

Colan said there could be a merge. I'm thinking it looks like a hidden merged dupe or dual claim somewhere because there are 12 categories!

Doe the description match what's in dash?

So that other listing could have #100 BUT also I think Google could just pulling in suite due to citations.
500 matches for suite 100. Google: "Cartwright, Scruggs, Fulton & Walther" "suite 100"

Google: "Cartwright, Scruggs, Fulton & Walther" "ste 100" 7000 matches.

So I'd ask them if technically they are in Suite 100 or have done any yellow pages or anything with that in the past because it appears their correct address may include a suite #.

I'd also get them looking deep and hard for another listing in another account or ask if previous SEO or webmaster maybe created one.

Here is an idea. Drop the claim by removing the account from that dashboard and reclaim in the new dashboard. It might mean using a different email but I think it would be worth the effort to have the new more responsive dashboard.

Could also cause lost reviews and temporary lost ranking. PLUS am not so sure it would work to trigger the new dash as the 1st wave of new dashboards was for NEW listings that did not exist at all. Even if she released it from her account it would still be live and I think there is 50/50 chance whether she'd get the old dash again or the new.

Have you tried that method to try to get the new dash? Did it work?

Actually in looking again there are no reviews.

Also Kathy there is no similar places at the bottom of page and no map maker history. So this one is displaying as if it's a brand new listing that started over in the ranking cycle for some reason.

When did you last PIN verify? When did they move? Any other problems lately that would cause this listing to start over? Any idea about the listing I suspect is in another account somewhere?

I suspect this one may have multiple problems...

katandmouse

Forum Member
Thanks, guys. Yeah, this one is a mess! Maybe I should take what they are paying me and take your class, Linda! Sounds like this is one that will benefit, yes?

---------- Post Merged at 10:45 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 10:39 AM ----------

Hi Kathy,

Colan said there could be a merge. I'm thinking it looks like a hidden merged dupe or dual claim somewhere because there are 12 categories!.
This is what I think is going on too. And since I can't find the other one I'm afraid to move forward.

---------- Post Merged at 10:53 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 10:45 AM ----------

Could also cause lost reviews and temporary lost ranking. PLUS am not so sure it would work to trigger the new dash as the 1st wave of new dashboards was for NEW listings that did not exist at all. Even if she released it from her account it would still be live and I think there is 50/50 chance whether she'd get the old dash again or the new.

No, didn't try that. Afraid of losing rank. Proceeding cautiously.

There was a another problem in that Google merged the main listing with one of the attorneys. There was the same address, same phone, but different URL in the record. BUT for the title it also had the title of the FIRM, followed by the title of the attorney. Other attorneys had G+L pages, but theirs were not merged. I just claimed it so that I could get ownership of it. The first step I'm trying is to change the title for him.

No Kathy when I asked have you tried/did it work? I was talking to Cleaner to ask if he'd actually successfully tried the advice he gave. Because as I stated I think it's risky.

How do you see that Linda?
Click edit details right on the page to see all the additional categories Google has that are not shown any more on the main page.

There was a another problem in that Google merged the main listing with one of the attorneys. There was the same address, same phone, but different URL in the record. BUT for the title it also had the title of the FIRM, followed by the title of the attorney. Other attorneys had G+L pages, but theirs were not merged. I just claimed it so that I could get ownership of it. The first step I'm trying is to change the title for him.
Ya that's a problem. I would not have claimed that one. Could be a violation AND that's not the way to deal with merges. There is no way to fix a merge in the dashboard. It's tangled and only support can untangle. Never claim a dupe to change it either.

Thanks, guys. Yeah, this one is a mess! Maybe I should take what they are paying me and take your class, Linda! Sounds like this is one that will benefit, yes?
Yep you'd benefit and learn a lot. Like the edit details trick and so much more that would help give you the tools to troubleshoot and diagnose problems better yourself and hopefully avoid most problems all together.

BUT one that is seriously messed up and complicated like this would take me doing a deep dive and troubleshooting to investigate and help you figure out what to do. No amount of general info would get into specific scrambled listings like this.

Or you could try phone support. They can help with most regular data problems but will only go so deep on complicated multi-faceted cases.

katandmouse

Forum Member
You have to click on the "edit" link or click on the title of the business and it will take you to the part of the dashboard where you can make edits.

---------- Post Merged at 08:35 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 08:32 AM ----------

It's probably a partial merge issue going on. Are one of the attorney practitioner listings using that suite#?
Thanks, Colin. If I click "manage this place" on the G+L page, it takes me to my dashboard and from there I can click edit. I don't have a problem with that. But I would like to edit the G+L page itself. There is no edit link there. None of this is available to me: https://support.google.com/plus/answer/1727176?hl=en

But I think I just figured it out. These attorney accounts don't have a personal G+ profile attached to them; I believe I need that first.

How do you guys handle multiple practitioners in one office? None of them want to manage any of this. So do you create one personal profile and than have all G+L pages under that account for ease of management? But then I worry about what if one later decides he wants a real personal presence in G+? I suppose at that point, he could claim his personal G+L page and move his local page offer to his account.

It should be noted that these are old Google Place pages and that then got claimed into one google account.

katandmouse

Forum Member
Actually in looking again there are no reviews.

Also Kathy there is no similar places at the bottom of page and no map maker history. So this one is displaying as if it's a brand new listing that started over in the ranking cycle for some reason.

When did you last PIN verify? When did they move? Any other problems lately that would cause this listing to start over? Any idea about the listing I suspect is in another account somewhere?

I suspect this one may have multiple problems...
Linda, what you're seeing is Harold's page. That's why you see it as new! Google is tying Harold's page to the main firm's Google+L account instead. To try and break that connection, I deleted Harold's. Still there though. I'm hoping with it gone, Google will reattach to the right one. I hope that wasn't a bad decision.

In another post in this thread I stated that I think maybe why Google attached to his is because his title included the firm's title. But we'll see. After he's gone, maybe Google will try to attach another attorney's page instead. I hope not.

If they do, I'll just delete all the attorney pages and maybe open them up in their own individual personal profiles. And maybe that's the answer to the other question I just posted. Hmmm. Maybe that's why this merger is going on. Maybe those attorneys need to be under their own personal profiles. Now that makes sense. What do you think?

"If I click "manage this place" on the G+L page, it takes me to my dashboard"

Oh no. That might be part of the problem right there. Never log into a client's page this way - it can cause all kinds of problems. I explain it in training and have posted about it here. Let me know if you need me to find the post that explains.

"To try and break that connection, I deleted Harold's. Still there though. I'm hoping with it gone, Google will reattach to the right one. I hope that wasn't a bad decision."

Deleting no longer works. Google won't delete listings any more. We've discussed this alot and I've posted about it a bunch. Need to read the links below to the main articles but there are many others here at the forum..

Plus that won't usually break a merge. Again only support can usually break the merge.

"How do you guys handle multiple practitioners in one office? None of them want to manage any of this. So do you create one personal profile and than have all G+L pages under that account for ease of management? But then I worry about what if one later decides he wants a real personal presence in G+? I suppose at that point, he could claim his personal G+L page and move his local page offer to his account."
Read the links below. Sorry thought you knew.

"I'll just delete all the attorney pages and maybe open them up in their own individual personal profiles."

NO don't claim - Should not usually claim indiv atty or Dr listings. Read the links.

Sorry thought you'd likely read my posts about how to manage. The 1st link is about the problem in general. The 2nd is the solution I recommend.

Google Places DUPLICATES – Have Doctor, Dentist or Lawyer DUPES? You NEED to Read This - Google Places Optimization Blog

Overcoming New Google Places Duplicate Listing Problems for Dentists, Doctors, Attorneys - Google Places Optimization Blog

BUT my guess is there are merge problems due to the way these were set up.

Last but not least now it looks like the practice listing split into 2 listings or maybe there was a dupe all along, but I don't remember seeing it before.

This is original you linked to that has #100: https://plus.google.com/101678107344049880629/about?gl=US&hl=en-US

This one does NOT have suite BUT does have image: https://plus.google.com/107277974611001540904/about?gl=us&hl=en Oops EDITED TO ADD LATER: Sorry I see now that one is Harold's. Didn't notice the last part of the name. And didn't notice this listing when I looked before but since not a consult didn't keep track so not sure. (That's the prob with doing forum support. I'm jumping around helping everyone best I can. When I do a consult and deep dive I do extensive research and document everything.)

Both have descriptions, so both appear to be claimed.

But if you just deleted Harold from dash, it may still look claimed. If that's the way the name was formatted then no wonder it merged. When I said above I assumed the reason for merge was the way they were set up and that appears to be the case, now that I see this is Harold's listing. Best guess is claiming caused it to merge, unclaiming released it and unmerged it but it's at high risk of merging again.

So sorry Kathy, I am WAY behind on consulting clients I need to finish. I can't afford to take any more time going back and forth in the forum. It's not an efficient way to solve ones that are this complicated. I'm over-extended and there is only so much time I can give here in the forum these days, sorry.