More threads by jimbo5

jimbo5

Reaction score
Hi :)

I´d like to know the meaning of the icons in Google Maps. For example, for two software companies (same category), one shows a red icon with a white dot and the other shows a red icon with a white bag.

Captura.JPG
Captura2.JPG

Thanks!!

@jimbo5 can you post the links to both the listings you're looking at?

That link just takes me to a blank search results page. Maybe just the name & address of both listings?

@jimbo5 I'm seeing that ScreenMedia has "audio visual equipment supplier" as a secondary category on the listing and Recubik does not. Can you try adding that category to the Recubik listing and see if that changes the way the pin shows up?

@jimbo5 I'm seeing that ScreenMedia has "audio visual equipment supplier" as a secondary category on the listing and Recubik does not. Can you try adding that category to the Recubik listing and see if that changes the way the pin shows up?
ok that's the difference. As I imagined.

Oh are they all pending? If that's the case, you might have to wait until Google lifts the restrictions.

I just wanted to know why a business showed a "dot" and another a "purse" and I imagined because of the difference in categories between the two of them. The fact is that I think there are more businesses with the category "Audiovisual service provider" that do not have the purse symbol.

On the other hand, I have been looking like crazy for an explanation to all the symbols that google maps shows and I have not found it. At least a complete one ;)

Do you have an example of one that has that category that doesn't have the purse icon?

On the other hand, I have been looking like crazy for an explanation to all the symbols that google maps shows and I have not found it. At least a complete one ;)

The main page shows just colors. Press the side arrows to see specific symbols.

Hello all!

@jimbo5, I have found way more business with the dot as an icon than with the shopping cart.

carteleria_digital_-_Google_Maps6.png

The icon is red because this is how Google highlights all the businesses related to your query. The icon with the dot is strange, it looks like the icon Google uses when it has identified the business you searched for.

Screenshot 2020-04-17 at 19.40.22.png

Could it be they have been reported for spam?

Screenshot 2020-04-17 at 20.00.13.png

Unless I search for the term "Screen Media / Cartelería Digital / Digital Signage" or for "carteleria digital barcelona" I'm not able to locate the business. It also looks like it is located in a residential apartment building with no Street View available.

Screenshot 2020-04-17 at 20.00.23.png

I can't forget to mention that all those businesses have super spammy business names, I mean...

Screenshot 2020-04-17 at 20.19.20.png

To me it looks like you can report all of them basically...

The main page shows just colors. Press the side arrows to see specific symbols.

Hi @djbaxter,

The icon colours that I'm seeing in maps searching from Spain are the same as the ones in Google's post, except for

1. Hotels
The icon is pink at the moment

restaurante_en_palma_de_mallorca_-_Google_Maps.png

While in Google's post the hotel icon has a violet shade.
Screenshot 2020-04-17 at 19.17.34.png

2. Pharmacies
The same colour, but the icon is different.

restaurante_en_palma_de_mallorca_-_Google_Maps5.png

In Google's post the icon has a cross, which is not showing up at present.
Screenshot 2020-04-17 at 19.20.17.png

I'm sure there have been more changes since 2017, maybe Google could update them...

I also came across something I had not seen/noticed before. Searching for shops I found that some businesses were marked with a blue icon and not in red.

tiendas_en_palma_-_Google_Maps.png

The shops with the blue icon have in common that they display a Coronavirus message.

Screenshot 2020-04-17 at 18.48.26.png

Screenshot 2020-04-17 at 20.55.21.png

While the ones with a red icon don't.

Screenshot 2020-04-17 at 18.49.44.png

Is this so? Have you seen it that before?

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

LocalU Webinar

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom