More threads by shondarogers

Good question. I'd also like to know the answer to this.

Increasingly, people are going to a cell phone only setup so I would assume (and hope) not.

If the cell phone# has a local area code and you are using that # across the web on all of the citations, I don't see why it would cause any problems.

---------- Post Merged at 03:26 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 03:23 PM ----------

Keep in mind this quality guideline for Google Places:

"Provide a phone number that connects to your individual business location as directly as possible.."

Agree with Colan, however if it's an existing business that's been in the yellow pages THAT local # is the best to use. If one yellow page listing picks it up it can propagate out to a ton of other sites.

So if it's a new listing with no local # anywhere OR the cell has been consistently used everywhere then it's OK I would think.

The problem comes in when a business has had local on their G+L page and then without realizing the consequences of changing one of the most important pieces of NAP data and just casually decides "oh I think I'd rather have people call my cell now."

Changing name, address or phone on G+ is a big deal and can cause lost reviews, ranking probs, data problems and more - so needs to be carefully thought out.

A good way to check for existing phone citations, if weighing for a client which way to go,
is to search Google "Business Name" "(555) 222-3333"
with both parts of NAP in quotes, but omitting the address.

Very interesting topic of conversation, as quite a few of my clients prefer to be contacted on their cell ("mobile phone" as we call it in the UK ;)). As a general rule, I've always tried to use the local number. However, as others have said, it can work if you match citations etc.

The problem comes in when a business has had local on their G+L page and then without realizing the consequences of changing one of the most important pieces of NAP data and just casually decides "oh I think I'd rather have people call my cell now."

Changing name, address or phone on G+ is a big deal and can cause lost reviews, ranking probs, data problems and more - so needs to be carefully thought out.

Well said, Linda! This is a great point, and I'm sure this "oh I think I'd rather have people call my cell now" happens all the time. At first it seems like such a harmless move by a SMB, but it has major ramifications.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, that will always be dangerous: messing with the information that Google associates with your business. It's the ultimate thing NOT to do.

In terms of using the cell phone number from a fresh listing, it looks like its fine, even if I go for local number where possible.

I've never had an issue with clients who use cell phones as their main numbers. But all the caveats that these guys and gals wisely brought up do apply (must be local, must not mess with NAP consistency, etc.).

Great point Jacob.

I've had Dentist listings where Google changed the phone # on their listing to their security alarm phone # or back line #. Numbers the Dentists swore were never published anywhere and in one case a dedicated line that does not get answered. The only place Google could have gotten the numbers is via a feed or something from phone company.

ok - so here's the twist...client lives in (123) area code where cell number is. BUT his new fishing business address will be about 2 hours south - different area code. Not good, right?

Hi all.

Firstly thanks for all the help and replies
Our problem is this.

We use a mobile number for 2 reasons.

1: Most days we are out of office delivering training to people and businesses on site so cell phone is the best contact option for us.

2: In the UK & N.Ireland around 75% of daytime incoming calls are junk marketing e.g claim back PPI, or your home insurance is up for renewal in 6 months etc so we dont even answer.(we have tried blocking these type of calls to no avail unfortunately)

The cell number we use is 07956xxxxxx but it shows up on the google+ page as 795 (6xx) (xxx). Without the zero at the start it is a non viable mobile number.

Why are google making this so difficult, when it should be really easy like everything else they do?

Thanks again.

For the problem of the phone# not fitting right in Ireland I would post at the Google forum.

Do a descriptive title that has the word BUG in it to get Google's attention.
Ireland Phone# Formatting BUG or something like that.

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom