More threads by JoshuaMackens

JoshuaMackens

Local Search Expert
Reaction score
Anyone know how to change the logo for your knowledge card? When I click "see photos" the image that is shown currently is from a 2nd website we have (not even our main website or the website attached to our GMB page) that Google crawled and it is not our logo.

Also, we've got multiple images from random Google+ users in there as well. One individual is a "local guide" and 3 others are people who just made "contributions". One of the contributions from these individuals is a picture of some type of industry certification, a monster truck, and...the rebel flag.

Awesome.

So:

1) Can your knowledge card logo be controlled at the moment?

2) Is it open season for contributing photos to businesses that show up in their Knowledge Card pictures?

P.S. I did flag the confederate flag yesterday and as of today, it was down. So it seems like they are fast. But I didn't track all the pictures I asked for verification from and I think some of the ones I asked them to remove are still there. So maybe they are selective and there is a human behind the reporting process. But at least the reporting feature does work. You never know with Google.

Hi Joshua

I'm assuming you've indicated your preferred photo right? (https://support.google.com/business/answer/6103862?hl=en)

I'm pretty sure that Google is still picking non-logo photos over logos so if you've put a logo as preferred, then try switching it to a non-logo photo to see if that preference is honoured.

And regarding the contribution of photos - it does seem like it is open season at the moment, particularly as Local Guides are encouraged to upload photos to get points which results in less than stellar, even completely irrelevant photos being uploaded. Keep reporting them though and if you have problems report them over in the GMB forum so they can be escalated.

Hi Joshua

I'm assuming you've indicated your preferred photo right? (https://support.google.com/business/answer/6103862?hl=en)

I'm pretty sure that Google is still picking non-logo photos over logos so if you've put a logo as preferred, then try switching it to a non-logo photo to see if that preference is honoured.

And regarding the contribution of photos - it does seem like it is open season at the moment, particularly as Local Guides are encouraged to upload photos to get points which results in less than stellar, even completely irrelevant photos being uploaded. Keep reporting them though and if you have problems report them over in the GMB forum so they can be escalated.

Thanks Priya, I will try this.

What's Google's thought process for showing a picture that is not a logo? That seems silly to me as your logo is your branding. It's there for reasons exactly like this. What type of picture is Google wanting and why are they against a logo?

Also, I reported those photos via the report function on the photo and it dropped. I'll report back if I get more experience with it.

Hi Joshua

Mike Blumenthal has written in the past that he's been told "images were selected to improve the Map experience. IE an exterior photo that would help a person know what they were looking for when traveling was preferable to an image like a logo that offered no real world benefit."

That would tally with Google's request (in the photos guidelines) for photos that "represent the actual business" - so photos that show the searcher what they can expect from that business are more likely to be shown than a logo. It also (kind of) explains why Google doesn't show logos even when a listing owner has put it down as the preferred option.

Obviously this is more difficult for businesses that are less photogenic than others and is extremely annoying when one is trying to create a consistent visual brand across different platforms but at the moment that's the way Google's algorithm looks at photos.

By the way, did you know there's actually an option to send Feedback to the product team (within the Support link in GMB dashboard)? Maybe if enough of us send in feedback on how silly this is, someone will take notice??

Hi Joshua

Mike Blumenthal has written in the past that he's been told "images were selected to improve the Map experience. IE an exterior photo that would help a person know what they were looking for when traveling was preferable to an image like a logo that offered no real world benefit."

That would tally with Google's request (in the photos guidelines) for photos that "represent the actual business" - so photos that show the searcher what they can expect from that business are more likely to be shown than a logo. It also (kind of) explains why Google doesn't show logos even when a listing owner has put it down as the preferred option.

Obviously this is more difficult for businesses that are less photogenic than others and is extremely annoying when one is trying to create a consistent visual brand across different platforms but at the moment that's the way Google's algorithm looks at photos.

By the way, did you know there's actually an option to send Feedback to the product team (within the Support link in GMB dashboard)? Maybe if enough of us send in feedback on how silly this is, someone will take notice??

That makes sense. Thanks Priya!

But what about on desktop searches? It doesn't make as much sense there necessarily. Even more so on SAB's where people won't be going to their location.

Yeah, maybe we should flood them all together haha.

oh there's a lot that doesn't make sense about GMB / local sometimes Joshua ;)

Like hiding a phone number on desktop under 'more information' so it doesn't show up in the Knowledge panel - just because I'm searching on desktop doesn't mean I don't want to phone the business Google!!

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom