More threads by Tim Colling

Tim Colling

Local Search Expert
LocalU Member
Solutions
Reaction score
Do you carry liability insurance for your agency? If so, which types?

I'm not really asking about property insurance or auto insurance, I'm primarily interested in asking whether agencies here are carrying liability insurance, such as:
  • Errors and Omissions
  • General and personal liability
  • Others?
I'm finally investigating this now that it's been a few years since I sold my other business, which carried E&O and General liability that we considered to be covered under (since our digital agency was a division of that business until we sold that business.).

Also, who are you insured with? The one name I'm aware of is a company called "Hiscox".

Thanks in advance for your responses!

Hey Tim!

I've heard of 4 different types of insurance for SEO companies:
  • General Liability
  • Professional Liability
  • Business Income Coverage
  • Equipment Breakdown
The question really comes down to what you want the insurance for. I've heard of businesses getting "Error and Ommissions" but I'd consider that Tier 2 compared to General Liability & Professional Liability. Professional Liability is probably one of the lesser-known/more important types of coverage. It usually takes care of anything that can go wrong as the result of your performing SEO services. Equipment Breakdown helps cover labor associated with costs of any equipment breakdown, which could be useful for really large agencies.

Somone once told me too, "getting these types of insurance makes you more prone to someone filing a lawsuit". Meaning, you have the money to cover damages now... so understanding the responsibility behind it is very important as well.

I don't think that should deter you. Insurance is really important to have. I just like that kind of candid advice. Lawyers typically look for whether a business has insurance when reviewing cases.

Where I'm going with this—you should probably also consider relooking at your contract if getting certain kinds of insurance.

I hope this helps.

Last edited:
I don't think that should deter you. Insurance is really important to have. I just like that kind of candid advice. Lawyers typically look for whether a business has insurance when reviewing cases.

Thanks, @CraigJMount . Do you have liability insurance for your business?

We have E&O for the same reason @BenFisher mentioned. Some large clients require it. It's about $1500 a year up here in Canada. We also carry liability insurance since it was really cheap.

For those of you in the United States, which companies are you getting your E&O or General liability coverage from? I have only heard of one, in other forums, for the SEO industry, a company called Hiscox.

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom