More threads by JSammon512

JSammon512

Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm running into a bit of an issue with running local search ads in Google Ads. The issue has to do with lead source attribution.

I love the exposure that you get from being in the local pack. However, according to Google, when someone clicks on the ad, they are taken to the GMB page. Naturally, when someone goes to your GMB page, ideally you want them to go to your website. If someone takes the path of:

LSA click - GMB page - Website

Google defines the path above as organic website traffic. That's super frustrating because I'd actually want to see:

1. What percentage of LSA's led people to come to the site
2. What percentage of people that came from LSA's converted into a call or a form submission

You can certainly add UTM parameters to the website URL in GMB but it doesn't resolve this lead attribution issue.

Ironically enough, Hubspot seems to overcome this lead source attribution issue in their tracking (actually attributing the right lead source). Super weird.

Has anyone else run into this? If so, how did you overcome it? Many thanks in advance!

The way we track these is by using a call tracking number that is hooked up to the Location Extension. I actually just talked about that this morning at Pubcon :)

1570739810634.png

Hi Joy! Many thanks!! I'm not sure how I missed that.

That definitely resolves the calls issue from the LSA's. However, what do you recommend for clicks?

Right now if they click on the ad, they are driven to the local GMB profile. If the searcher clicks on the appointment or website URL from the GMB profile of the business, Google treats that traffic as organic (per Google Ads support). The only way we know the click has come from paid is actually via HubSpot lead source attribution.

It may be something needs to fix but I would love to get your take on it.

Hey JSammon512,

Here is a section from my training that shows where these clicks are tracked inside Google Ads.

How do you track these?

Tracking these can be a bit tricky. If someone clicks anywhere on the 3-pack ad other than the call button (which brings up the call screen on your phone), it takes them to the GMB listing, not the website. Therefore, these won’t show up as visits in Google Analytics.

What you really want to pay attention to is mobile “clicks-to-call” and “get location details” in Google Ads. “Get Location Details” is the number of times someone clicked on the ad and got to your GMB listing.

You can see some really powerful data as a result of these ads. I’ve seen major increases in calls after setting these up for businesses. For example, in one case it increased the clicks-to-call by 55% and the click-through-rate by 121%

FAQ-About-Ads-in-the-3-Pack-6.png

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom