More threads by dboi941

Reaction score
I have a client that has a locksmith company we had all kinds of problems keeping it up because its well a "Locksmith". Long story short He has been working from home for over a year now we hide the address and all also google had locked it in MM because it keep getting removed as spam. So we verify all the info about the company with google and show them it was registered as a company in sunbiz.org. " Thats where you registered a business in florida" So it was verify and locked from edits there.
Thats where we are at now.

What the client has done is opened back up a store front and has asked me to add this loction in google Places/+ Local. and he wants to keep the home location aswell.

I have read on here about making a page just for the new location on our site.
Just really would like some advice on doing this the right way.

The new location will be at a new address with a new phone number, Im just worried about the name being the same is that a problem even with the new address and phone number?

Will this hurt the rank of the first location? We are ranked #1 on page 1 for about 5 different keywords. I really dont want to loss that.

So what my plain is to make the new page on our website for the new location and do all the normal local seo I do for any company and link it back to the new webpage. Is this right?

Thanks Daniel

Hi Daniel,

I'm not sure this is a good idea. Google has locksmiths so focused in their cross hairs already that I can see multiple problems with listing both. Technically it's gaming the system, because TECHNICALLY they do not have 2 locations in the city. TECHNICALLY when the new one opens, the old should probably be closed.

I totally understand the reluctance AND realize the new one may have a hard time getting ranked initially due to new location and new NAP that's not established.

But just saying technically I believe that's the way Google would want it done. So if a competitor or a mapper (that's on the witch hunt for that industry, as some of them are) picks up on these listings, likely one or both will be toast.

My 2 cents knowing how Google thinks and seeing similar problems. But it's a gamble and could be fine. Just need to make it very clear to client, that if he's pushing you to do this it's skating a fine line or technically against guidelines so could totally backfire.

Hi Daniel,

I'm not sure this is a good idea. Google has locksmiths so focused in their cross hairs already that I can see multiple problems with listing both. Technically it's gaming the system, because TECHNICALLY they do not have 2 locations in the city. TECHNICALLY when the new one opens, the old should probably be closed.

I totally understand the reluctance AND realize the new one may have a hard time getting ranked initially due to new location and new NAP that's not established.

But just saying technically I believe that's the way Google would want it done. So if a competitor or a mapper (that's on the witch hunt for that industry, as some of them are) picks up on these listings, likely one or both will be toast.

My 2 cents knowing how Google thinks and seeing similar problems. But it's a gamble and could be fine. Just need to make it very clear to client, that if he's pushing you to do this it's skating a fine line or technically against guidelines so could totally backfire.

Thank you for your advice on this Linda. I will speak to him and let him know.

I would list this new client location on UBL, Localeze, YellowPages, etc. Then add the new address to every page of the website. If he will continue to use the home address, list both on every page in the website. Load multiple pictures of the front of the shop and interior along with full location info on the pictures onto Flickr or other photo repository. Now upload those same pictures from Flickr onto all these local search engines, YP's, and directories that you set up, and the website and all social media sites. Wait 4 weeks after all of this is complete, then add the location to Google Places. For locksmiths I commonly recommend waiting 4 months when it is likely that Google will add the information themselves, then you can claim. Most don't want to wait 4 months.

Add the pictures to Google+.

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom