More threads by RobinOctane

Reaction score
So weird. I have an old client with a biz been there for 20 years.

When looking in Google Maps, when searching the area https://maps.google.com/maps?q=s+ma...5&hnear=S+Main+St,+Kennesaw,+Georgia&t=m&z=15 we we don't see his biz. Another auto shop company at the same address however is (Bimmer) on the map. It is a 14,000 square feet warehouse split into 3 biz.

Screen shot 2014-10-31 at 11.04.06 AM.jpg

I can find my guy Flag Auto when I search by name in the search bar, his biz comes up with a red pin.

And he ranks in pack when searching keywords. Auto Service Kennesaw

But the actual map doesn't show him. As shown from picture above.
Why would this be?
Here is his Google plus listing:
https://plus.google.com/112591307712120231179/about?gl=us&hl=en

Thanks for any ideas. I am wondering if because he shares the building with Bimmer that is the reason.

Now onto some details.
Flag's address is with Suite C but it was not put onto his Google listing (it is however in other citations and on website), also in his dash he spells the street S Main St NW.

That being said, Bimmer and another business on this street, use the address (who show up on the map with a marker) have the address as simply "South Main Street".

Do you guys think I should try and change his address in the Google listing to South Main Street Suite C? Or "South Main Street"?

I want to be cautious because as Linda said the other day, even tiny changes on your Google listing can have repercussions and I don't want to get knocked out of pack.

Or should I not touch the dash and work in Maps to request an edit?

Screen shot 2014-10-31 at 11.04.06 AM.jpg

Hi Robin, love your titles here! :p

Sorry I don't have time to dig into the data, but just wanted to share the help docs about Places labels. Not guaranteed and algo driven.

"The place labels shown on Google Maps are determined algorithmically based on a large number of factors. One factor these algorithms consider is the accuracy of the business information and the richness of the content associated with the business."

I'm sure the algo also looks at things like longevity, authority, etc.

Think of it this way - no way EVERY biz could be on the map. Think of big office buildings. There would not physically be room for all the names on the map, it would be an overlapping mess. So somehow the algo tries to pick the best or most prominent to show.

Sardis Missionary Baptist Church has a label and their address is Sardis Missionary Baptist
2741 S Main St NW, so that's not it. I would def not change address in dash if 2486 S Main St NW is correct, which it appears to be.

Here is the weird thing, he has been there longer and for many of his citations he has the Suite C on it but not the Google listing.

The other guy does not have Suite in his citations (only one).

Will Google recognize 2 Auto Shops at same address?

Will Google recognize 2 Auto Shops at same address?

Well I think Google HAS recognized your client since he ranks high in the pack and that's most important - more important than having a map label.

I'm concerned about the G+L description though. City 12 times in 2 short paragraphs could be seen as KW repetition spam by the algo and could cause a penalty.

In past as I've said many times, repeating city in description even a couple times can cause a ranking penalty that can last for 6 months even after cleaned up. Pigeon does not seem to mind KW as much, but you never know when they'll start penalizing again. Best practice says that description needs editing. (Not saying that will help with the map label, but I don't see the map label as as big of a deal as ranking in the pack.)

I work on that, work on reviews and get some posts up to make the business more prominent but no one knows for sure what triggers the map label.

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom