Local Search Expert
- Sep 12, 2012
Interesting industry. I guess this falls under the "Your Life" portion of YMYL. I would say it is unrelated period but if you got hit on the YMYL update, it has to be related I would think.I just did an analysis for a private investigator client of ours. Medic tanked some of his organic rankings and I remember thinking the results post-Medic looked stupid. Here is some very specific things that I observed for the term "private investigator" when searched from his zip code.
I want to note that my client was 8th pre-medic for this term and dropped off the face of the earth for this term but he was never #1. So this update isn't likely a complete reversal. I think Google just got a better idea of what sites were quality (like Marie said) and in this SERP's case, the intent of the searcher changed. Google is now showing results that would indicate the searcher is looking to hire a private investigator, not become one himself.
- The site that ranked first organically on March 10th was an article about how to become a private investigator, this tanked to 12th
- The second organic result on March 10th was another article about how to become a private investigator fell to #5.
- The third organic result on March 10th was Wikipedia's generic entry for "private investigator" and this fell to #9.
- The new top organic ranking is my client (a private investigator in that city)
- The new second organic ranking is Thumbtack which is a list of private investigators in that city.
- The new third organic ranking is an article in a magazine listing the "best private investigators" in that city (it was previously 6th)