More threads by Rich Owings

Rich Owings

Local Search Expert
LocalU Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any tips about getting menu schema to be picked up by Google? Here's the things that have been done:
  • Verified schema markup validates
  • Verified that the menu URL has been added to GMB (although it does keep reverting to the HTTP version for some reason)
There are Seamless and Grubhub order links in the knowledge panel, but they aren't showing menus since they don't do online orders, but I'll look into getting those removed.

Any ideas? @David Deering ?

Hi @Rich Owings

I've had a similar issue with Google suddenly not seeing some structured data on a site.
I moved the script higher in the page and seems to have woken the bots up. No idea why that is, but try it and see if it does anything for you? Would like to know.

Also, you're using Json right?

Thanks, Margaret! It is using JSON-LD. I'll pass your tip along to the dev. It does look like they could move it up and put the menu schema ahead of the menu HTML.

Rich,

This is for a restaurant? Do they have any other schema types on the page? If so, I'd remove all the rest. I have found, for example, sometimes gold stars don't show up if there are other schema types on the page like website or organization and I nested the review schema under the local business type.

Hi Joy,

It is a restaurant, and yes, there is other schema on the page including Yoast generated schema and "@type": "Restaurant" and related schema (hours, hasMenu, etc.). But they are all separate and not nested. I haven't seen things like this cause issues before, and I seem to recall John Mueller saying multiple blocks of schema are okay (though I always take his pronouncements with the proverbial grain of salt!). I'll let the developer know and maybe we'll try all the suggestions. The menus are on separate pages so perhaps it would be a good test.

Rich,

This is for a restaurant? Do they have any other schema types on the page? If so, I'd remove all the rest. I have found, for example, sometimes gold stars don't show up if there are other schema types on the page like website or organization and I nested the review schema under the local business type.

So Joy, just to clarify your findings... if you want something to show up such as a menu or stars, keep the schema separated entirely or remove all but the schema that you want to show up?

I wouldn't have 2 different types on the same page.

One other thing that comes to mind. Sometimes Yoast's default schema seems to interfere with your own intentional schema. It's causing what Joy referred to not to do - 2 different schemas.

The developer has implemented all the above recommendations, and I've requested a fresh crawl via GSC's URL Inspection Tool. Fingers crossed!

Still no luck. Can anyone share an example of a restaurant getting a menu tab in the mobile KP, without a places.singleplatform.com link in the desktop KP? The developer I'm working with is beginning to think that using Single Platform is the only way to get this. Screenshots of one using Single Platform...

Screenshot_20190903-110848_png_and_Screen_Shot_2019-09-03_at_11_10_25_AM.png

Hi Rich

To have Your menu appear in the overview tab - you need to get rid of singleplatform.

The menu overview tab for that restaurant is populated by singleplatform - NOT the actual menu from GMB.

Also note that the menu link is only on desktop KP - If you have added a menu via GMB then the menu link is removed for the Menu overview tab

You need to get rid of 3rd party platforms for your menu to be displayed!

You need to get rid of 3rd party platforms for your menu to be displayed!

So even though a business fills out the menu section in the GMB dashboard, Google will still display the info from Single Platform instead?

My client has gotten rid of Single Platform.

Also note that the menu link is only on desktop KP - If you have added a menu via GMB then the menu link is removed for the Menu overview tab

Are you saying if we remove the menu link from GMB, that may cause them to start looking at schema and add the Menu tab to mobile?

@Rich - does this client have a menu link option inside the GMB dashboard on the info tab?
1567601950265.png

@JoyHawkins They do (screenshot below). One weird thing is that the menu URL keeps reverting to HTTP, no matter how many times we change it back.

Screen_Shot_2019-09-04_at_9_12_47_AM_and_Screen_Shot_2019-09-04_at_9_13_14_AM_and_Menu_schema_...png

@JoyHawkins They do (screenshot below). One weird thing is that the menu URL keeps reverting to HTTP, no matter how many times we change it back.

Screen_Shot_2019-09-04_at_9_12_47_AM_and_Screen_Shot_2019-09-04_at_9_13_14_AM_and_Menu_schema_...png
But your Menu in the overview tab + that is not singleplatform - will need to check if grubhub and seamless (both same data) supersedes menu overview tab.

Have they added the actual menu - not url

Full menu -name, desc, price
Not in GMB where it says "Menu - Add or Edit Items." That would be crazy to have to edit it there and on the website for each time a menu item changes. That's why they want to rely on schema to push it to Google. For what it's worth: Structured Data Testing Tool

But your Menu in the overview tab + that is not singleplatform - will need to check if grubhub and seamless (both same data) supersedes menu overview tab.

The client does not take orders, and if you go to the Seamless/Grubhub pages it says so and shows no menu. Do you think it will help to go to the source and ask to be removed?

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom