Merged and Verified Google+ Local Page - Unhooked and Unmerged?

Linda Buquet

Just thought I'd share an interesting case I just started working on over at the Google and your Business Forum. Waiting on more details, so if interested watch as this unfolds.

Verified Google+ Page and it merged but now has un-merged again. Help! - Google Groups

We verified our Google+ page and the G+ Local page and the G+ Business page (the one with social capabilities) merged together, but now they have un-merged again. They were merged for a couple of weeks before this happened and everything appeared to work fine. I think what happened is that an update was put through the old interface (google places interface) instead of the Google+ page and that caused them to un-merge. It is the only thing I can think off.

Does anyone know if there is anything you can do to fix this problem? The page is still displaying a check mark so it is verified and there is no way for me to reverify so I am at a loss at what to do to get these pages merged again. Any insight would be extremely helpful.
See the listing details and my reply over at Google if you are curious about this. After I get her reply and more details I may escalate if warranted. Will let you know if anything note worthy develops, just thought this one was interesting.

And who knows maybe others are having the problem and don't know it. Cuz if you ONLY look at the merged G+ Local page it looks fine, you would not realize it became unmerged.

Anyone else see anything similar?

Jorge Launch

Forum Member
I was worried something like this would happen and I was waiting for reports of this come out. One of my main questions/concerns was that if the listing was verified using two different logins meaning two different email addresses have claimed the listing what would happen if one of the accounts that didn't have the Business Page verified in made an edit? I'm hoping that this isn't going to be a thing in the future and that Google has some kind of process in place to prevent this from happening. We have seen problems with duplicate listings becoming un-merged or erroneous information from popping up. I would like to see what happens with this one.

Linda Buquet

Thanks Jorge, I agree. So many variables and dupe issue - then on top of that possible multiple account owners. This is going to get really complicated for certain listings.

Linda Buquet

Google was able to merge the 2 in the initial post at the Google forum back together. So all is good now.

They did say however after you merge/verify, you should then only do edits on the G+ page, not from the Places dashboard.

They did say however after you merge/verify, you should then only do edits on the G+ page, not from the Places dashboard.
So you're saying not to edit from google.com/places but rather from plus.google.com?

Just going by memory at this point and do not have both "dashboards" open, but if this is so, isn't it true that not all of the information a business has had the opportunity to provide in GP, can also be edited in G+? What if this other information, not editable from G+, needs to be changed?

Linda Buquet

Yep, here we are at the great unkown again.

The only major thing I know of that can't be edited in G+ are cats and who knows what's up there anyway.

Yep, here we are at the great unkown again.

The only major thing I know of that can't be edited in G+ are cats and who knows what's up there anyway.
You can in MapMaker but I've always wondered how that affects SEO? I typically will remove duplicate categories and make sure that the Primary category is the most specific possible and that the secondary categories aren't more generic than the primary.

Linda Buquet

Ya Jade was saying to go add cats in MM but I've checked before and it does not seem like cats in MM rank like they do in the dash. I mean to be honest I've never done a deep dive or tracking on it. I've just spot checked a couple times before to see if listings were ranking for cats in MM and they weren't BUT could have been other factors.

I'd be tempted to do some testing if Google wasn't hiding the cats in the dash. If I can't see what cats are actually listed in Places I can't really test anything cuz would not know if the cat in MM was also in dash. Does that make sense? Sorry, tired.

Linda Buquet

So you're saying not to edit from google.com/places but rather from plus.google.com?
Yep here it is officially from the horse's mouth. (Sorry Jade, not calling you a horse.) ;)

As Linda says, with the merged pages, edits should be made through the G+ interface for best results.
(From Jade)

Not sure what caused the disconnect, but they should be all be one page and working appropriately by now. As Linda says, with the merged pages, edits should be made through the G+ interface for best results.

I don't think that editing via the dashboard made them "disconnect." In fact, I don't think they were disconnected -- I think there was a duplicate page that was made. The merged/verified page did not look disconnected when I investigated earlier.

Local Search Forum

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe

Google Product Exert

@LocalSearchLink

Join Our Facebook Group