More threads by EmilyW

EmilyW

Reaction score
We have two businesses at the same address location, and one is now marked as a duplicate. Google support wants signage photos to remove the duplicate status. One business is an art school, the other is the franchise office for the chain of art schools. Separate phone numbers, URLs, and business names (Studio Name, Studio Name Franchising, LLC) Is there another way to prove their distinctness, so both will be listed on GMB? I found this article, and this section seems to specifically apply. Have you had success with this strategy? Welcoming any other tips. Thanks! Google My Business: FAQ for Multiple Businesses at the Same Address
1582043312987.png

Do they have separate signs outside the building? What's listed on the door?

So, unfortunately, they're really unlikely to allow it then.

You can definitely try that approach. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. They care more about "real-world" appearance of the business and what the customer would see if they show up at that location. If your other company isn't listed anywhere on exterior signs, theoretically, someone who showed up wouldn't know where they were going.

You can definitely try that approach. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. They care more about "real-world" appearance of the business and what the customer would see if they show up at that location. If your other company isn't listed anywhere on exterior signs, theoretically, someone who showed up wouldn't know where they were going.
Thanks for the input, Joy!

Even if you had a storefront or something visible for this secondary business with the same address, please know that Google may eventually pull/de-list one as a dupe, or merge the two. We have three addresses with two distinct businesses within same address (a full service restaurant and a small quick service takeout unit. Every year to two years when there's some sort of algorithm update, we run into these issues and have to spend time to get a location relisted or de-merged. It's usually not pretty and takes a fair amount of work. Though these locations and addresses are decades old, nothing in the Google world is grandfathered and we're always trying to fight the internal battle to get our locations to institute a suite or unit number for each. Best of luck to you!

Similar situation for me, only one of them is a Service Area Business which was suspended after a move. Since its SAB, there will be no signage, but to move I needed to list the address which is understandably confusing for Google.

I did already post this on the Google Support Forum: Moving A Service Area Business and Was Suspended - Google My Business Community

But any advice here is appreciated. Namely, should I be removing the address yet to avoid the confusion for Support, or wait as I need it to reverify?

I wouldn't advise making changes to a listing if you're waiting on Google to get back to you on an open case. It can slow down the process.

Due to the number of suspensions I'm hearing about, I'd expect turn-around times to be around a week.

Even if you had a storefront or something visible for this secondary business with the same address, please know that Google may eventually pull/de-list one as a dupe, or merge the two. We have three addresses with two distinct businesses within same address (a full service restaurant and a small quick service takeout unit. Every year to two years when there's some sort of algorithm update, we run into these issues and have to spend time to get a location relisted or de-merged. It's usually not pretty and takes a fair amount of work. Though these locations and addresses are decades old, nothing in the Google world is grandfathered and we're always trying to fight the internal battle to get our locations to institute a suite or unit number for each. Best of luck to you!
Thanks for this feedback, Jimmy! That's a really good point to be prepared for these milestones.

Similar situation for me, only one of them is a Service Area Business which was suspended after a move. Since its SAB, there will be no signage, but to move I needed to list the address which is understandably confusing for Google.

I did already post this on the Google Support Forum: Moving A Service Area Business and Was Suspended - Google My Business Community

But any advice here is appreciated. Namely, should I be removing the address yet to avoid the confusion for Support, or wait as I need it to reverify?
Hi Lane! Hope you get this resolved, I'm curious what happens!

I'm sorry to hear there is still such a problem with this. I have one situation like this. Luckily we did have signage. But even at that it took many months of going back and forth with images of signage. Then like others have said we get it straightened out and then it gets delisted. This must have happened 4 or 5 times but seems OK lately.

I have another business situation like this but no signage either. I have a separate phone number but it seems everything is going to postcards now.

I had come on here hoping there would be an answer to this.

Sorry to piggyback on this thread, I hope your situation works out.

I just wanted to check if SABs in office buildings with multiple other businesses would also be expected to provide signage etc? What rules is an SAB supposed to follow in an office building?

Last edited:
I just wanted to check if SABs in office buildings with multiple other businesses would also be expected to provide signage etc? What rules is an SAB supposed to follow in an office building?
If they are displaying the address on the listing, then yes they would need signage.

If they are displaying the address on the listing, then yes they would need signage.
Thank you. We would be a SAB so that should be fine. Am I right in thinking that a SAB using an office should not enter a suite number as customers wouldn't be visiting the address? Or would it depend on the office?

Last edited:

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Trending: Most Viewed

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom