More threads by Min

Min

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

Thanks for activating my account! I'm pretty sure my questions been asked a million times so I apologize in advance if it seems redundant. ( I did search everywhere lol).

I read a lot of posts, moz, various articles but i am still confused on which route to take for my company. what do you think is best url structure for single office business that has multiple services and serves multiple locations?

my current url structure is

example.com/services/basement-remodeling/

and for my local url structure i am currently just doing

for my local url structure should which one should i go with?

example.com/services/basement-remodeling/city+basement-remodeling

or

example.com/services/basement-remodeling/city+state+basement-remodeling

or

example.com/services/city+basement-remodeling

or

example.com/services/basement-remodeling/city/

or

example.com/services/city/basement-remodeling/

Thanks in advance, I been reading the forums all day but still confused

Example.com/St/city/service

Or example.com/tx/austin/basement - remodeling

You can find an example for dentist here: safamilydentalcare.com

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

That dentist site is interesting, Cody. They appear to only have one location, and yet they bothered with that more complex state/city/service-name structure.

Why? Are they planning to open other locations?

Thanks Cory and tim for the fast response.

Would I have any issues if i were to go this route?

example.com/services/kw/city+kw?

or

My current url structure is siloed like this.

example.com/services/kw/

the whole st/city/keyword seems like a like content to write.

Thanks again!!

Tim. They have 4 locations. But each location runs by a different name. Opening another location this this and possibly dallas as well.

Branding consolidation around the corner.

I would run this set up on a single location as well. I think location is the 1st consideration for all search, especially local. Putting st/city/services forced the content to be indexed differently than .com/service - city

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Hey Cody,

What did you mean putting st/city first forced the content to be indexed differently? Could you elaborate a little more? Thanks!

Hey Guys,

Thanks for activating my account! I'm pretty sure my questions been asked a million times so I apologize in advance if it seems redundant. ( I did search everywhere lol).

I read a lot of posts, moz, various articles but i am still confused on which route to take for my company. what do you think is best url structure for single office business that has multiple services and serves multiple locations?

my current url structure is

example.com/services/basement-remodeling/

and for my local url structure i am currently just doing

for my local url structure should which one should i go with?

example.com/services/basement-remodeling/city+basement-remodeling

or

example.com/services/basement-remodeling/city+state+basement-remodeling

or

example.com/services/city+basement-remodeling

or

example.com/services/basement-remodeling/city/

or

example.com/services/city/basement-remodeling/

Thanks in advance, I been reading the forums all day but still confused

The deeper you go with your URL structure, the more difficult it becomes to write great content for those pages.

If you have one location and multiple services, I would create one service page in the city you are trying to rank in. it example.com/city-basement-remodeling. If you go with example.com/services/city-basement-remodeling you will need to create a Services Page which would need to have a lot of great content.

I guess it really depends on how many services you have. If you have 1-4 I would opt with example.com/city-keyword, and if you have 5 or more I would create a dedicated services page which then links to the respective pages (ie example.com/services/city-keyword)

http://www.domain.com/service1/city+keyword
The deeper you go with your URL structure, the more difficult it becomes to write great content for those pages.

If you have one location and multiple services, I would create one service page in the city you are trying to rank in. it example.com/city-basement-remodeling. If you go with example.com/services/city-basement-remodeling you will need to create a Services Page which would need to have a lot of great content.

I guess it really depends on how many services you have. If you have 1-4 I would opt with example.com/city-keyword, and if you have 5 or more I would create a dedicated services page which then links to the respective pages (ie example.com/services/city-keyword)

Thanks Blake, for the response.

I am in the remodeling business and offer 9 different services.

My current url structure is this.

http://www.domain.com/home-remodeling (which is our main services page with 9 services on it.)

and have

http://www.domain.com/service 1
http://www.domain.com/service 2
and so on.

I was reading matthew woodwards site where he listed do

http://www.domain.com/service1(keyword)/city+keyword

http://www.domain.com/service2(keyword)/city+keyword

What do you think about the above url structure?

Since you have 9 different services, then that URL structure would work. I would create one services page which would contain all of the 9 services you do. Then you build out child pages for each service like you outlined above. But if some of your services are completely different (ie remodeling & exterior painting) I would create different service pages, then add child pages accordingly.

We have been working with a remodeler for almost a year now, but he primarily focuses on kitchen and bathroom remodeling. We have don't have a service page, and link to them directly from the homepage and in the main navigation.

Hope that helps.

The more sub-folders you add, the more difficult it becomes to get the bots to index those pages. You'll need good internal linking to get some juice to those internal pages.

Remember, the shorter amount of clicks from the homepage, the better. As much as we want to please your Majesty Google, you want to make sure your visitors aren't getting lost in deep nav.

Of course, there are situations where it's not possible to keep your pages shallow. I do agree with Blake. Cody also makes some valid points.

Joy, I have a lot of clients who only offer one service but do so in multiple locations. For situations like that, which of the following would you (and everyone else here) choose?

1. example.com/service/city
  2. example.com/city/service
  3. example.com/service-in-city

Thanks!

I would also go #3 as well. Just because it's a singular service as you mentioned. If it was more than 1 service, I would do #2....yikes.

Crap. I totally missed that they only offer one service. In that case I would just go with domain.com/city

Sent from my XT1563 using Tapatalk

Crap. I totally missed that they only offer one service. In that case I would just go with domain.com/city

Sent from my XT1563 using Tapatalk

I built the site some time ago and went with domain.com/service-in-city. It is a site for a home care company

It actually is something like this:
domain.com/home-care-in-san-jose
domain.com/home-care-in-cupertino
etc.

At the time, I thought that having that phrase "home care in san jose" etc. might be pretty similar to actual search phrases. I still do, actually.

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Trending: Most Viewed

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom