More threads by Eric Rohrback

Eric Rohrback

Solutions
Reaction score
https://www.seroundtable.com/google-advanced-verification-local-22794.html

Looks like Google is testing an advanced verification process for plumbers and locksmiths (typically very spammy verticals) in the San Diego area. I'm interested to see how this turns out, but I think I agree with Barry - this may not be scalable for maps.

What do you guys think? Has anyone gone through this yet with a client?

Hi Eric, thanks for sharing.

Google shared this with the TCs in a Hangout yesterday. But I thought we were still under NDA and not allowed to share, so I hadn't written anything up yet.

Here is Mike's post, which Barry linked to. Mike was in our meeting so has more of the details: <a href="http://blumenthals.com/blog/2016/10/04/google-testing-advanced-verification-process-for-plumbers-locksmiths/">Google Testing Advanced Verification Process for Plumbers & Locksmiths</a>

I think it's an awesome pilot! If they can weed out the spam/fraud this way, then more of the honest businesses will be able to show up. It does seem like it would be hard to scale, but it's exciting to see they are willing to put all these extra resources into fighting spam!

Definitely agree with you Linda; it's a step in the right direction. We'll have to keep a close eye on this to see what happens. This makes me optimistic for the future of spam fighting/prevention from Google :) Hopefully this goes well.

I hope, I hope, I hope it sticks. Bottom line, it's an additional expense to Google. This could clean up so many issues.

I hope Google does expand it and I think they should charge for it. I see no reason for Google to eat the cost.

I think this will go miles for keeping SERPs legit. It's incredibly difficult to fight these things once they are created so adding a gate-keeper pre-verification is a great solution. Thanks for sharing!

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Trending: Most Viewed

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom