New Google Local Option - Switch Place Page Over to a G+ Brand Page

Linda Buquet

Oh yes, please share video if you get time Louis.

You just answered a question I asked but realized I already knew the answer to.

I knew if both pages had a custom URL the Brand custom URL is the one that sticks.
So that means the Brand page URL reigns supreme.

I just asked Google all the other Qs and some other TCs asked more Qs too, so we are waiting on answers.

Linda Buquet

OK I got updates from Google.

I think I'm going to work on an image that explains it all!

It will be cool and will really help!

Linda Buquet

I have my little infographic done.

Just running it by Google to be sure I have all the body parts in the right place after the switcherooney takes place.

(No it's not like sex reassignment surgery. More like a de-capitation) Hint, Hint! :p

Linda Buquet

NOTE: If you are coming directly to this image from Twitter or G+, please start at the top of the thread to see the explanation about this new feature 1st.

Then tell me if this image helps clear some of the confusion about this new option... (I'm no artist, obviously!)

Click image and magnify to see clearer image

TOP LEFT IMAGE - Current G+ Local Page
Head - Local data, reviews and ranking)
Body - G+ page with social features, videos and reviews

BOTTOM RIGHT IMAGE - We just disconnected the Local data and features of the page (the head)
and moved it all over to a the G+ Brand page's (body).

(And the not so obvious stuff like URLs, which they both originally had, are noted as to which one ends up on the final page after the move.)

*CID - is the identifying # for the Local AKA Place Page. More info if you are unfamiliar here:
How to find Google Places CID on the new Google+ Local Pages

Google confirmed I got all the elements in the right places after disconnecting and moving the Local head.
But one of the TCs thought the illustration was still confusing.

What do you guys think before I push it out to all the folks everywhere else who are asking me questions and aren't as knowledgeable as you guys? Do you think it's simplified enough and makes sense for someone that does not understand any of this???

Any suggestions to make it more clear?

<meta property="og:type" content="article">
<meta property="og:image" content="http://localsearchforum.catalystemarketing.com/attachments/google-local-important/1680d1401921369t-new-google-local-option-switch-place-page-pagemove2.jpg">

Last edited:

JoshuaMackens

Local Search Expert
I think the infographic works. It looks good.

Have there been any bugs reported or loss of rankings by chance, Linda?

Hi Linda,

I really like the image - it is very clear, except perhaps for the CID acronym.

Does there need to be a footnote explaining what it is or where to get more information on it? Or do you think most people will know what it means and/or not care about it?

Colan Nielsen

Administrator
LocalU Faculty

Linda Buquet

Hi Linda,

Does there need to be a footnote explaining what it is or where to get more information on it? Or do you think most people will know what it means and/or not care about it?
Really good point Priya. Consultants around here largely know what it is, certainly the ones I've trained do but I need to remember a lot of others don't, so thanks for bringing it to my attention!

Linda Buquet

Hi Linda,

Thanks again Priya - added.

JoshuaMackens

Local Search Expert
I did this and our ranking took a hit.

I posted about my roofer awhile back and the issues I was having. Apparently, there was a bug in the system and anyone who changed their address within a specific 3 month period *raises hand* left a trace of their old address. Once this bug was fixed, we jumped exactly to where we were supposed to be for 70% of our queries.

It was strange. We would rank for "roofer city state" but not "roofer city" where we would still be penalized.

I had two local pages in my dashboard. One with our reviews (our main page) and another old local page with social features not connected to maps. We have 100+ followers and close to 200 +1's. Naturally I wanted to retain those.

I called into Google, they made the switch for me manually because my local Google+ with social features wasn't being picked up as a Google+ brand page, and then...we dropped out.

It's been close to 24 hours and I'm still waiting for things to settle down. We'll see if things turn around but if they don't, I imagine I call back in and have them switch it around again.

Sucks to be out of the filter and then right back in it.

For anyone else having this issue, I would give a strong word of caution before trying it out.

I'll report on what happens.

Linda Buquet

I would give it 6 weeks if you can. I can see a couple things that could happen with this type of switch.

1) I assume that Place page maturity plays a role in ranking so that original CID may have carried some weight.

2) In that past I've seen cases with dupes and whatever where the CID was switched and then the new listing with the new CID started over in the ranking cycle (6 weeks or so) just like a brand new listing.

3) Even if it isn't having to start over - Google is slow and always has a delayed reaction. You should usually wait at least 2 -3 weeks to let changes settle in.

4) Correlation is not always causation. Have you been tracking the pack to see if other listings in the pack changed? Could be an algo shift or a couple others leapfrogged him?

JoshuaMackens

Local Search Expert
I checked right before the change that day to make sure we were still in and checked about an hour after. That would be too small of a window for that.

I am going to give it until Monday. If it hasn't changed by then, I don't think I have any choice but to switch it back, don't you? I can't afford to have a client continue to be out for 6 weeks, especially if the CID carried weight, as you mentioned, which is definitely what I believe.

Linda Buquet

I really can't advise because don't know for sure and this is the 1st I've heard of a rank drop after a switch. So seems like if it was the CID I would have heard lots of complaints by now.

All I know is changes upset the apple cart and sometimes you need to give her time to reindex or time for changes to settle in.

If it was me I'd also ask client. I don't remember the situation but if they wanted it changed due to having lots of posts and followers then you might want to explain the trade off and let it be their choice? I mean to me ranking rules but if they wanted those followers moved over, maybe check with them?

JoshuaMackens

Local Search Expert
It updated today and went back to normal.

Actually, it looks better than normal.

We were having an issue with certain variations in keywords. "keyword city st" would show our company but "keyword city" would not, etc.

Now it seems a little more consistent although there are still issues with that, just not as many as before.

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe

Trending: Most Viewed

Newest Posts

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...

Local University Guide

Google Product Exert