More threads by James Watt

Reaction score
For those who haven't seen it yet, Moz put out a new local research tool rolled into their moz pro account. Their writeup for it is solid, if you want a closer look.

You get 2 free searches without a free account, 5 with an account, and if you already have a moz pro account you've already got access.

So, with that out of the way, here's what I like about it.

First up, their volume estimation comes from more than just Google keyword planner. They pull from that too, but also factor in 3rd party data they have too. At the end of the day though, I think for the kinds of local keywords we're interested in here, it might still be kind of off the mark, but might at least be better than Google's.

The biggest cool thing built in though, is that it'll tell you which keywords have which SERP features in them. Say you get a bucket of promising keywords, now you want to know which ones have a 3-pack showing. It's already built in, and it'll tell you up front... pretty handy, right?

There's no built in geographic support yet though, so you're stuck looking for either broad terms for your industry, or adding in your city to see if anything else jumps out.

Either way, might be worth checking out, and if you already have a moz pro account adding it into your mix is a no brainer.

So what do you think? What's your favorite tool for local business specific keyword research?

I helped beta test this tool, and I was really impressed with what they came up with. I think because this is more SEO/holistically focused rather than strictly focused on PPC, it's really something people should check out. I'm excited to see what new features they continue to roll out over the next few months.

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom