More threads by Jannell Howell

Reaction score
Hey gang!

In checking ranking for a client's Google My Business listing, I discovered an inconsistency between new maps and classic maps. Four of my clients listings are not published in new maps, but are found in classic maps!

The Google My Business listings are claimed/verified, optimized, some of have reviews, and there are no errors noted on the GMB dashboard (in the account).

For example, I am looking for the GMB for Performance Health Chiropractic:
https://plus.google.com/105543167314088201213/about

In Google, my location is set to 'Ann Arbor, MI' in Search Tools
Searching in maps for 'Ann Arbor Chiropractor'

In new maps, out of 52 results, the listing does not show.
In classic maps, the listing is ranking 'B' on the first page:
08.21.2014-15.25.38 - JannellH's library

I called Google support. The first agent said they updated something and the listing would appear within 48 hours. When it still didn't show, I called again and the 2nd agent said they would escalate the issue and email me. A followed-up a week later and was told that this missing GMB issue was a known glitch between classic maps and new maps - and they are working on it.

Is anyone else seeing this same problem? Does anyone have any further information about when the glitch may be resolved? Or if there is something I can do on my end to get the listings published in new maps?

Any help and/or guidance is appreciated!

Odd! Thanks for sharing Janell!

I know new maps is slower to update sometimes.

But even with being B in classic, the listing is not in the pack - which could def be Pigeon related, since Maps still uses the old ranking algo.

The fact that new maps better mirrors the 7 pack leads me to believe, that the datacenter we hit when checking new maps has been updated to Pigeon, but classic maps is still using the old datacenter.

That's my best guess anyway.

Jannell,

I'm having the exact same problem with one of my clients. Like you, I spoke with two different Google reps. Almost the same responses. Finally this from Google:

"This does appear to be a search ranking issue. It could be that there are differences in the search ranking algorithms when it comes to New Maps vs. Old Maps, but this isn't something we can influence at all. When I did a search of the business title, the new location is the one that showed up in both New and Old Maps. Sorry we can't do more for you."

So I'm still trying to figure it out. The rep is right: if you search on the business name in both maps, the correct listing comes up. If you keyword+city+st search, nothing in New Maps. To make matters even more interesting, the algo update triggered an old listing that has been marked closed for the last two years. The page was deleted quite a while back. I've been trying to come up with an answer or a solution. No penalties indicated in GMB and up until the algo update, we we're ranking in the first or second position on all of our keywords. In Classic maps, we're still ranking well.

Sorry I can't be of much help, but if I come up with anything, I'll post it.

Jannell,

... the Algo update triggered an old listing that has been marked closed for the last two years. The page was deleted quite a while back.

Kim, I have had listings pop back up that had been closed 1- 2 years. Most of these are associated with the business moving to a new location or name change. I'm thinking Data Centers are crossing over information. Things are in a drunken flux right now. We are sitting back a bit to see how things settle before we go nuts fixing things.

Things are in a drunken flux right now. We are sitting back a bit to see how things settle before we go nuts fixing things.

OK Justin I hereby give you notice that I'm stealing that drunken flux line! :p

Thank for the feedback. Drunken flux is right! Fortunately the client has been patient and "gets it", but I will have to admit, this kind of stuff drives me nearly into my own drunken flux.

I also saw this for the first time just last week. I pretty much only use classic maps b/c you can do so much more, but I was troubleshooting a change with the "Pigeon" update with a colleague/co-conspirator and noticed this.

With the Pigeon update the client's Google listing dropped out of the pack which is now a 3 pack that some not so strong competitors are now ranking in. In classic maps the client is spot B. In the new Google Maps the client is #13.

I at first thought that perhaps some type of mobile friendly factors may be weighted heavier (i.e. responsiveness) with the new maps, but that doesn't seem to fit with this case.

Being that most of us use only one or the other version of Google Maps, these discrepancies might be a lot more common (especially since the last update) than we realize.

I'll definitely point people to this thread and more info is always helpful. Remember if you are checking/comparing results be sure to clear/reset all data or use a fresh browser for every single search.

With the Pigeon update the client's Google listing dropped out of the pack which is now a 3 pack that some not so strong competitors are now ranking in. In classic maps the client is spot B. In the new Google Maps the client is #13.

Ya I have proof that Classic is still using the pre-pigeon algo. Will try to post it in my Pigeon Flux post, because the example I have is for Seattle Chiro.

And my theory again is that Pigeon is rotating different versions on a couple of specific datacenters. Classic is still on an old datacenter so is showing the old algo. New maps was on the old datacenter at 1st too, but recently switched over.

Ya I have proof that Classic is still using the pre-pigeon algo. Will try to post it in my Pigeon Flux post, because the example I have is for Seattle Chiro.

And my theory again is that Pigeon is rotating different versions on a couple of specific datacenters. Classic is still on an old datacenter so is showing the old algo. New maps was on the old datacenter at 1st too, but recently switched over.

Changed my mind about that 1st sentence. I have a few other Pigeon issues I want to share, so am working on a new post. Hopefully tomorrow.

I have been experiencing BIG problems across hundreds of our company's listings. Essentially, it seems that a search in the New Google Maps completely ignores results for our company that are nearby and replaces them with results that are far far away. This does not happen in the classic format.Here is one example that illustrates the Google Maps error/ bug that we have been experiencing.

Taylor Robinson Music & Voice Lessons has 4 Tulsa Oklahoma locations each with an active Google Maps listing. They follow below:

Taylor Robinson Music & Voice Lessons 9107 S 85th E Ave Tulsa OK 74133
Taylor Robinson Music & Voice Lessons 1504 N 22nd St Broken Arrow OK 74012
Taylor Robinson Music & Voice Lessons 3155 S Rockford Dr Tulsa OK 74105
Taylor Robinson Music & Voice Lessons 1406 N Elm St Owasso OK 74055

They can be seen on the left hand side of the screen shot below as they all show up in the Classic maps search for "Taylor Robinson Music & Voice in Tulsa Ok"

However, the ONLY result that shows up in the new maps is a location in Glen Carbon IL. This is over 400 miles away.

Again, this is not a ranking error and it's one of hundreds of similar issues we are having with our listings. We are a service area business (hybrid) that also provides lessons out of our instructors homes. We have had numerous conversations with Google support who can reproduce the issue but have no solution as of yet. They do confirm that there is no penalty or misuse of the account or listing according to the guidelines.

The screenshots are below (classic on the left and new maps on the right). Let me know what you think. Anyone else having a similar problem or have any thoughts??

RnNZfQn2o2xpggJQqefCOervMbPIci5mujDPJnvl43kv6Rtxjyh5gHN_JKVzeU-aaGz3pePFgxfoAAtZJZNx8mveVTc-11j98EfuAJVcumUenA=s0-d-e1-ft

Also some interesting issues to note:

Problem does not occur when searching:
1. On Classic Maps
2. Using the search term "near me"
3. When searching exact company name+street number+ street name+ city+ state + zip

Wow, what a problem this has been.
Thanks again,
Taylor

cleardot.gif

Any ideas or anyone experiencing the same thing?

Thanks!
Taylor

Thanks Taylor, not seeing the screenshots though.

I'm working on a big post that will shine a light on a lot of this. Shine a light as in help to understand it - but not necessarily I light of hope to change it. Only Google can do that.

On new maps you are seeing Pigeon, on Classic you are seeing the old tried and true results.

This Pigeon was just not very well trained when it flew the coup, me thinks.

Yea, I agree it seems to be a different and/or older algo rather than situational bugs...

See this new monster post that attempts to explain it.

<a href="http://localsearchforum.catalystemarketing.com/google-local-important/21886-pigeon-analysis-new-insights-about-crazy-google.html">Pigeon Analysis - New Insights about this Crazy Google Local Algo & the Constant Flux</a>

I too have many client locations doing the very same actually over 500 local locations to be exact and whats even more frustrating is when Google's new maps will not list you locations on the new search even if you try every single variation you can but if you look at the map next to the list clearly you have a business listed showing on the map with a placement marker but Google will show one location only and will not give you any other options or locations that are so far away not even in most cases the same city !!
Google has a lot of fixing still to do unfortunately, local businesses have to suffer or will be forced to seek other means of advertising and or will go out of business simply because most businesses have any clue as to how to fix there advertising and now no one has a clear picture because of all the fluctuations Google is experimenting with and switching back an forth between data servers....

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Trending: Most Viewed

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom