No "write a review" option available on iPad/iPhone for Google+ Local?

Maybe I'm out of the loop, but I didn't know about this.

According to a dentist I was speaking with yesterday, the "write a review" button is disabled on an iPhone/iPad.

Anyone else know about this? Why? When? What's up with that?

Here are two screenshots of a G+L listing on an iPhone and iPad.

Linda Buquet

Hi Chris, thanks so much for posting and bringing to our attention. I don't have either device so was not aware it was still an issue.

I knew I'd read something similar at Mikes and THOUGHT it was recently. But could not find in recent posts. Had to use Google search to find it because it was way back in MAY.

Does this appear to be the same problem? From Mike Blumenthal's blog.
Google’s New Mobile Search Inadvertently Removes Review Button From Places Page

If so, Google said they were "working on it" way back in May. Hard to believe with their emphasis on mobile that this isn't fixed. Unless it WAS fixed and this is a new or different issue.

Here's a Google forum post about it started in May.
"Write a review" link has disappeared when using mobile devices but not the Places app???

Jade's last reply was from August saying:

"And yes, right now, the only ways to write reviews on mobile are: Google Maps for Android, Google+ for Android, Google+ Local on iOS.

I don't have anything to announce at this time, but we've heard your feedback about wanting a mobile web option for reviews."

And this guy just posted today who sounds like he's pretty frustrated with waiting!

"I am truly flabbergasted that this problem exists. Google, you should be ashamed of yourself. How can you be touting the importance of mobile and doing so much to mobilize the web through initiatives like howtogomo, while at the same time breaking very basic mobile scenarios like writing a review of a business from your device? Download an app? Are you serious? The Google+/Places/Mobile/Maps intersection is such a clusterf*&^. #googleyousuck"

Thanks for letting us know it's still an issue. Hard to believe with all the emphasis on mobile AND G+ AND reviews, this issue is still on-going. BUT have to say since I seldom use mobile I don't pay as much attention to mobile and maybe there is something new on this front I'm unaware of.

Chris if you want to post in that thread too, I'll escalate that thread later today when I get time and see if I can get an update on the issue.

Given the delay I would assume that this bug is now a feature or some such. There is a work around.

This URL is generated by search in G+ Local that only shows a single business: Google+

When a search result is accessed on an iPad or iPhone via this pre created URL, the "pen" to leave a review is visible and active. A user can then leave a review.

To generate these:
1- Go to G+ Local.
2- Create a search that returns only your business
3- Shorten if necessary
4- Send to iPad

Whether the review "sticks" or not is another question.

Linda Buquet

Thanks so much Mike. Was going to ask you too because I knew if anyone would have an answer,
you would.

Plus noticed you'd offered a similar workaround in your post and on the G forum, but that was with
the old URLs. Figured you'd know how to do it with + as well.

Thanks for sharing - and welcome to the forum!

Linda Buquet

Jade posted in a different thread about this today. Here's her reply.

Write a review on mobile device

Jim Jaggers a TC said: "At this time I don't think there is any way to leave a review on a mobile device without using an app."

Jade said: "Yup -- the only way to review on mobile is through Google Maps for Android, Google+ for Android, or Google+ Local for iOS."

I posted Mike's advice in that thread to help folks out.

Thanks again for the tip Mike.

Phil Rozek

Local Search Expert
Well, after 4+ months, I can confirm this is still the case. What drives me up the wall is when I scan a QR code for a Google+Local listing, I can?t write a review on the page, even though I have the G+L app for iOS. So we iPhone users have no way to navigate to where we can see the ?Write a review? button except through the app.

My question for Android users is: let?s say you?ve got the G+ or Maps app and scan a QR code or just receive a link to a Google+Local page. Do you see the ?Write a review? button, or do you only see it once you search the business through the app?

Fulty22

The answer to your question Phil, as near as I can tell is No.

I don't see a "write a review" on android either. When I scan the code my HTC Android phone asks to open in Google+ or Browser. There is no "write a review" button either way you open it. Very frustrating.

I assume it must be google and their mobile settings that leave the reviews off but I just don't understand why they would want this. Do they not want legitimate reviews?

I also couldn't get Mike Blumenthal's recommendation on setting up the URL for a QR code working either. Maybe I wasn't following it correctly but I have to say that this is way harder than it should be. I really just want to have a way to allow legitimate customers to leave legitimate reviews.

If anyone has the answer please feel free to respond. :)

The answer to your question Phil, as near as I can tell is No.

I don't see a "write a review" on android either. When I scan the code my HTC Android phone asks to open in Google+ or Browser. There is no "write a review" button either way you open it. Very frustrating.

I also couldn't get Mike Blumenthal's recommendation on setting up the URL for a QR code working either. Maybe I wasn't following it correctly but I have to say that this is way harder than it should be. I really just want to have a way to allow legitimate customers to leave legitimate reviews.
The URL method has not worked for several months. Google suggested that the QR code would work on Android but I know that it doesn't work on iPhone and I have not tested it on Android.

Linda Buquet

Thanks for weighing in Mike! I don't keep up with mobile as much as I should.
No idea how you stay on top of everything the way you do.

Phil,

Almost a year later and the "review" button is still missing on the Google Plus app.

The only way to leave a review is on the place info on Google Maps app

The problem is you cannot open Google maps with a simple URL encoded in a QR Code. The trick is using QR Codes in a different way. You can encode in a QR Code a geo-location that when scanned will open your default mapping application instead of a regular browser. When you open the place page on Google maps app you will find the review section.

So the process is
1- Find Lat Lon for your business and encode the appropriate QR Code
2- Use the QR Code to lead customers to your place in Google Maps.

I published a step by step instructions with pictures here:
How to write reviews on Google+ Local using mobile devices by @schapsis #QRCodes #MobileMarketing

Let me know if it worked for you.

Claudio

Don't you just love technology?

Things are changing so fast we are always finding bugs.

I usually only add reviews via the web, as do clients, but we have a review inbox set up that also allows people to go leave their reviews for the business and then gives them a site of choice.

As much as we hate Yelp and the filter, a ton of people use it because it is easy and familiar.

Sadly, the G glitches moved us toward targeting other sites that are more user friendly. Too many G reviews were getting sandboxed as well.

In the past, some of my colleagues use the apps for reviews with success but I believe most target other sites based on all the continued issues.

Thanks for the link on the workaround and explanations, the resource article will be useful to a whole lot of people I am sure!

I have a client who has a heavy base of mobile users so he's been sending people to his Google+ Local page via a link he puts on his invoices, emails, etc. The problem is, if they go to his G+ Local page on a mobile device, they get the Google+ app version of the page - which doesn't appear to have a "Write a Review" button on it.

Am I missing something or is this still a bug (now going on almost two years)? If it is still an issue, is there a work around yet?

Travis

Currently there are no work arounds the only way to leave a review on the iPad is via Google Maps

Linda Buquet

Thanks Mike!

I thought that was the case, but was just searching to see if there was any new update on this. Thanks for weighing in!

That is just shocking to me that Google hasn't fixed this.

What about Android devices? I'm not an Android user:( Are you able to leave reviews on Google+ Local listings on Android devices?

Travis

AllSearch52

We work around this presently by asking mobile users to visit the site on their desktop due the issue. Inconvenient but some reviews are better than none.

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...

Local University Guide

Google Product Exert