[November 5, 2019 Local Algorithm Update] Unexplained big drops in GMB rankings

MarianoF

Hi all, I want to share what happened last night with my GMB rankings. I had 12 Keywords ranking in the 3 pack for the last year. Yesterday suddenly 9 of those keywords went down 12 positions. Any idea what is going on? why all together? My business is a Medical clinic and I have not done any modification to my site or my GMB listing.
Cheers

Tilak

Same thing happened with one of my client's website (related to Legal). It was in the 3 pack but now it dropped to #10.

Around 10 days back we have updated product section from the left menu links but now that PRODUCT link is also not available on the left side.

Simon Cox

Had same - dropped 8 keywords for a client out of the map pack but all went to 2 or 3 as the competition don't know how to build websites yet.
What I did note is that one competitor has spots 2 and 3 now as they have seperate GMB accounts for the business at slightly differnt locations (1 mile apart nearly) - same business name and same website. that had been the same last year but the 2nd listing had dropped outfor a long while. I think some sort of reset may have happened - G probablymucked up again. Anyway glad its not just me!

Austin_Holds

Regarding the news that you are now limited to 20 service areas (Google My Business Limits Businesses To 20 Service Areas) coming out today, you think this could be the update to SABs we've been waiting for?

I think the fact that this news was released the same day as volatility stabilized could maybe mean it was more than just a coincidence.

Could your inputted service areas actually make a difference now?

Seeing some drops across some of my rank tracking campaigns.

But seeing gains across many of them too. Actually, I'm mostly seeing gains.

JaraMoser

We have a mix as well, across the US in the medical space we have seen significant drops for a few clients, some are singular keywords and a few where most or all of a client's keywords took a dive. We also have some client that have seen improvements.

There are also seeing clients with offices in multiple cities where one location has moved down while the other locations are stable.

keyserholiday

Local Search Expert
Regarding the news that you are now limited to 20 service areas (Google My Business Limits Businesses To 20 Service Areas) coming out today, you think this could be the update to SABs we've been waiting for?

I think the fact that this news was released the same day as volatility stabilized could maybe mean it was more than just a coincidence.

Could your inputted service areas actually make a difference now?
I think it is unrelated based on how many industries were impacted. I don't work with SAB listings and I am seeing location jumping into the map pack and dropping from the map pack. I am also seeing some unclaimed listings showing up as well. I am curious to hear Joy's thoughts on this next week in Boulder.

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe

Trending: Most Viewed

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...

Local Search Forum

Google Product Exert

@LocalSearchLink

Join Our Facebook Group