Optimizing Images For GMB - Things Have Changed

I have heard the case for and against optimizing images before adding to GMB and wanted to share my findings.

I have done quite a bit of image optimization in the past because when I would download an image from a GMB listing and check it, the image would still contain all of the EXIF & GPS data. But that was then and this is now. Whether or not Google ignored that info or not is a different story.
Now when I look at GMB images I find that all of that data has been stripped out. It was still there a few months ago.
I used the Image Downloader Chrome extension. to grab these.

Some file names are still intact and others have been named to "download" or a date. Copyright and Author fields are still intact.

EXIF of an image I just downloaded from GMB today for reference.

gmb-exif-removed.JPG

keyserholiday

Administrator
Local Search Expert
LocalU Faculty
Google strips out all exf data from photos when added to GMB. The user’s profiles are set to noindex too. I have seen studies where this principal was tested at great lengths and had zero impact on the rankings. I have never seen any data to support this as a ranking factor.

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe

Trending: Most Viewed

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...

Local University Guide

Google Product Exert