More threads by Wirenut

Wirenut

Reaction score
PageSpeed Insights grades my website 48 Mobile and 73 desktop.

A lot of the issues are render blocking resources and other things that I don't think I have much control over due to using a CMS. The actual page loading seems very good on all of the dozens of different computers and phones I have tried it from (for the first time, it was not cached). But I am wondering if those scores will hurt my standings in GMB or organic?

At those levels, not likely.

Which test did you use? There are actually several and they will often give you different results. In addition, it depends on a number of factors besides your site, including things like where the page access originates, weather/atmospheric conditions, momentary server loads, etc., etc. Also, of course, those tests do not have browser caching to reduce the load times for subsequent pages on the same site.

What I do is follow the advice when it comes to things lime optimizing images and that sort of thing, but every test I have ever run on any site always mentions "render blocking resources" and in practice there are only a limited number of things you can do to change that.

If you are worried, try running tests on other test sites and see what they say. One thing I have noticed is that the even two Google test sites show differences in their speed tests.

At those levels, not likely.

Which test did you use? There are actually several and they will often give you different results.
I used this one: PageSpeed Insights

In addition, it depends on a number of factors besides your site, including things like where the page access originates, weather/atmospheric conditions, momentary server loads, etc., etc. Also, of course, those tests do not have browser caching to reduce the load times for subsequent pages on the same site.

What I do is follow the advice when it comes to things lime optimizing images and that sort of thing, but every test I have ever run on any site always mentions "render blocking resources" and in practice there are only a limited number of things you can do to change that.

If you are worried, try running tests on other test sites and see what they say. One thing I have noticed is that the even two Google test sites show differences in their speed tests.
I'm not worried as long as you say that it is not likely to affect my rankings.

I have done like you said and compressed the images and taken care of the little things that I was able to.

And I know what you mean about testing being different because even using the same test it could jump from 48 to 39 to 65 at times.

Here are some others, including another one from Google, if you're interested:

Also check your site here:

Each tools shows different data. You should start optimising the site for the 3G connection and low processing device. That's where lighthouse helps to find.

If you optimise for that low speed and the low powered device, then your site will be very faster.

This is the website to test it out

Good luck.

Google page speed insights uses the chrome user experience reports. That's why it's hard to optimise the site, as it's gets too technical.

Google lighthouse helps to understand it way better, especially for slow performance devices.

You can do lighthouse check in the chrome browser too.

It does both:

PageSpeed Insights (PSI) reports on the performance of a page on both mobile and desktop devices, and provides suggestions on how that page may be improved.

PSI provides both lab and field data about a page. Lab data is useful for debugging performance issues, as it is collected in a controlled environment. However, it may not capture real-world bottlenecks. Field data is useful for capturing true, real-world user experience - but has a more limited set of metrics. See How To Think About Speed Tools for more information on the 2 types of data.

Performance score

At the top of the report, PSI provides a score which summarizes the page’s performance. This score is determined by running Lighthouse to collect and analyze lab data about the page. A score of 90 or above is considered fast, and 50 to 90 is considered moderate. Below 50 is considered to be slow.

Real-World Field Data

When PSI is given a URL, it will look it up in the Chrome User Experience Report (CrUX) dataset. If available, PSI reports the First Contentful Paint (FCP) and the First Input Delay (FID) metric data for the origin and potentially the specific page URL.

Webpagetest.org gave me different results, much better.

One of the things I need to update is to add a Meta Description. I thought that wasn't needed, but that test is saying to add it.

Screen Shot 2019-11-03 at 1.04.50 PM.png

A meta description isn't needed. And it won't affect page load speeds.

See

Pay attention to the speed of your site. A slow site warning is already displayed at GA. Google 2020 will focus even more on speed.

Just found this today, you can get the chrome user experience reports data of your site over this site.

Crux.run

You can find all the previous months CRUX data.

Very handy.

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

LocalU Webinar

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom