More threads by Nick Rink

Reaction score
Not sure if this is a bug or not, but we have a client who merged their G+ Local listing and their G+ business page a few weeks ago and I've now noticed that the phone number will only show in US format.

googleplus.phonebug.png

I've tried editing it to the correct UK number but it just defaults back to the standard US format. Obviously not ideal and they're likely missing phone calls. Have posted in the Google and Your Business forum but wanted to do the same here in case anyone else in the UK has had similar issues. Have also reported it to Google, but not anticipating any speedy response from there! ;)

Anyone else seen this? Any ideas on how to fix it?

googleplus.phonebug.png

Thanks for reporting here Nick.

I saw some reports of this yesterday and think one of them was escalated so there may be news from Google in the private forum. Let me see what I can find out and share or point you to any other posts that may have answers.

Hey Nick, replied to your post at the G forum too. But for members here...

Some other reports have been coming in the past few days and it was escalated to Google.
They are working on it and Jade just posted a sticky. So stay tuned for details.
New-verified/Merged international page with reformatted phone number?

Her sticky implies this may have happened due to editing merged+ pages in the Places Dashboard.

I've posted a couple times, but I don't think most are aware. Once you merge it's advised to only edit from the G+ interface, not from the Places dashboard.

Thanks for the update Linda and good to see that Jade is on it. Since we merged the page we've only done edits through the G+ Local listing, not the old Places dashboard so I was pretty confident it was just a bug.

Will keep an eye on things and report back when it gets fixed.

Oh good to know about the edits. Meant to ask if you've done any from the dashboard.

ACTUALLY sorry, I read her comment wrong. She said "international pages that went through the new verification/merge process (who are editing via the Google+ Pages admin) are having their phone numbers reformatted."

I misread somehow the 1st time and thought she said editing via the Places dashboard. Going too fast or multi-tasking like usual. Need to slow down!

Visited the client today who's experiencing the phone number bug issue and they did say that their call volume had dropped off.

Was wondering what your thought would be on adding the correct UK phone number to the description? Ordinarily I wouldn't consider it, but it's the only option I can think of until Google fixes the bug.

Yes - No - Hell No?

Hmmm, still borked? :eek:

As a general rule I don't recommend repeating any part of NAP in description. At least in the old Places world. But in the new G+ world not sure if that type of repetition would cause any problems.

Guess you just have to weigh it out based on how many calls you think they could be missing. Not sure if it would hurt anything but you know ANY edit can cause a listing to go south for unknown reason. So I normally say - if it ain't broke - don't fix it. But in this case it IS broke.

I didn't answer your Q did I? :p

Thanks for clearing that up Linda ;)

Agree with your "if it ain't broke" comment but I guess there is a danger of breaking it further! They're currently getting enough business though their website and the phone number shows correctly (kind of) in the local search results. Think I'll err on the side of caution and leave it alone. Will report back if anything changes.

Just wanted to highlight that on my merged listings Google is now displaying the UK phone numbers in two formats, UK and International.

I have to say I find this at odds with the whole premise of 'Local' :rolleyes: :confused:

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom