More threads by kathleen.rhodes

Reaction score
I have two clients for whom I recently set up new GMB listings (in other words, there weren't any existing unclaimed listings to claim). We were offered phone verification, which we accepted. Oops, that seems to have sent us into "Pending" purgatory - neither listing has moved out of "Pending" despite phone conversations with a guy in the US - versus India - yay.

Oops again, I celebrated too soon, Google is now asking for tax or license documents, or "whatever the client is ok with sharing" (such as a rental agreement) to prove that they work where they say they do.

I asked, why can't we just do postcard verification, but was told that was definitely not an option!?!

These are both "practitioner" accounts, i.e., people who work for (in this case) different insurance agencies. I'm now 2 weeks into the process for each client with NO idea as to how soon this will be resolved - SUPER frustrating!!!

Here is the case number that includes both clients, 5-4821000026787 - I'll be happy to share more details, it that would help.

Requesting phone verification is not what triggered it, most likely it was the category.

Getting stuck in pending does force a user to go through support.

If there is anything suspicious (deemed by the algo or a human) they proof needs to be provided.

If your locations are real and abiding the guidelines of GMB then you have nothing to worry about.

I would either follow up with the original agent or head to social support.

Requesting phone verification is not what triggered it, most likely it was the category.

Getting stuck in pending does force a user to go through support.

If there is anything suspicious (deemed by the algo or a human) they proof needs to be provided.

If your locations are real and abiding the guidelines of GMB then you have nothing to worry about.

I would either follow up with the original agent or head to social support.

I appreciate your feedback @BenFisher. These are real businesses and I contacted Google by phone weeks ago. I've provided requested info for one of the businesses (the other business owner had a family medical emergency, so I haven't been able to submit hers yet). In any case, when I called Google today and AMAZINGLY got someone in the US, he was still unable to explain why things are taking so long except for the fact that there is a "big backlog" that the engineers are having difficulty dealing with. Things have been "escalated" - not a very informative or reassuring answer.

It is true there is a bit of a backlog, if you provided the proper documentation then you should be up and running soon.

At least you have not run into the "technical issue". That is purgatory :)

@BenFisher - It took three weeks or more, but the first of my "pending" listings was finally made active! I don't think it had to do with the category though (Insurance agency).

Perhaps the moral of the story is: postcard verifications may be the best choice, at least for now?

That's what I'm doing with all new setups! I'm still dealing with one pending, but hope to have it resolved before too long.

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

LocalU Webinar

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom