More threads by CoRichardson

CoRichardson

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I came across this article yesterday about stay verified emails, and it sparked some questions and concerns related to our agency's process for claiming listings.

We have at least 10-15 clients that aren't technologically savvy and don't have Gmail accounts, so we created Gmail accounts for them to claim ownership of their listings. (We gave ourselves management access to the listings from the owner account we created for them). Since we created those owner accounts, no-one logs into them at all, since we manage everything from our agency account that has management access.

From what I can tell based on this article, it sounds like our process is flawed. If the Gmail accounts we created for these clients are not logged into periodically, will their listings eventually be unverified? That's what it sounds like to me, but it's not very clear. If the answer is yes, is interacting with their listings from our agency account (which has management access) enough to prevent this from happening?

Can someone help clarify? Thank you so much.

Hey there,

I get it - I've been there!

If clients are managing them, try setting them up a @gmail.com account with their current email address.

It looks like this:

1581699894802.png

That way they can log in with their normal credentials. They might be more likely to log in if it's an email/password combo they are already familiar with.

I don't think that the listings will be unverified - However, I do think that the account might be disabled. That may have a knock-down effect of suspending the listing.

I would make sure that your agency account is a primary owner, at least.

Hope this is somewhat helpful.

Hey @CoRichardson I would definitely suggest changing your process. What you're describing is not what Google wants because if the business owner leaves the agency, they have no clue what their login is and it creates more headache for Google.

What @aputtock suggested is what I would do. Have a Google account set up that ties to the business owner's email.

I don't think your client's will get this email though because the listing is active under your account. I believe Google is sending these to listings that haven't been active or touched in a long time by any account.

Hey there,

I get it - I've been there!

If clients are managing them, try setting them up a @gmail.com account with their current email address.

It looks like this:

1581699894802.png

That way they can log in with their normal credentials. They might be more likely to log in if it's an email/password combo they are already familiar with.

I don't think that the listings will be unverified - However, I do think that the account might be disabled. That may have a knock-down effect of suspending the listing.

I would make sure that your agency account is a primary owner, at least.

Hope this is somewhat helpful.

Thanks, this is very helpful. I appreciate it!

Hey @CoRichardson I would definitely suggest changing your process. What you're describing is not what Google wants because if the business owner leaves the agency, they have no clue what their login is and it creates more headache for Google.

What @aputtock suggested is what I would do. Have a Google account set up that ties to the business owner's email.

I don't think your client's will get this email though because the listing is active under your account. I believe Google is sending these to listings that haven't been active or touched in a long time by any account.

Hi, Joy! Thank you so much. It definitely sounds like we will be changing our process. I really appreciate your response.

A few more clarifying questions, courtesy of my superior, that she has suggested that I ask:

What if we create the client's Gmail account (and provide the client with the login info), so the client owns the account and the listing? Our organization account is a manager, so we can easily delete our management access if the client ever leaves us, and they have the login info to the owner account, so they have easy access to it. (I should note that in the past, before I started working for my current company, we were told by Google that as an organization account, we were not allowed to own client listings---we could only manage them. Is this actually the case or is this info inaccurate?)

Referencing the article again, in order to ensure a listing is not unverified or disabled, is it the listing that needs to be updated or is it the use of the owner email? Or both?

@CoRichardson,

It's better to use the account that the business owner already uses so the account won't appear dormant. Most people have Google accounts. Anyone with a Gmail or Android would already have one. If you run into a situation where they do not have a Google account then I would create one for them but still attach the email that they use on a regular basis to it as mentioned above.

@CoRichardson,

It's better to use the account that the business owner already uses so the account won't appear dormant. Most people have Google accounts. Anyone with a Gmail or Android would already have one. If you run into a situation where they do not have a Google account then I would create one for them but still attach the email that they use on a regular basis to it as mentioned above.

Thanks again, Joy!

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom