Questions for the Google My Business Team?

JoyHawkins

Administrator
A few of our regular contributors on the forum will be at Google's head office this week for their Google Products Experts Summit. I thought I'd ask if anyone has questions and/or feedback for the Google My Business team? I can't promise I'll have the chance to ask them every single thing posted but will do my best! :D

Phil Rozek

Local Search Expert
Thanks, @JoyHawkins. One thing to consider asking: "When will you require a minimum amount of text to accompany a Google review/rating?"

Similar to what Facebook has done:
https://whitespark.ca/blog/facebook-recommendations-monitoring-reporting/

The idea is if it's a legitimate (or at least believable) review, the reviewer has to explain at least a bit why he/she left 5 stars, or 1 star, or whatever.

If it's a BS review, or one in which the reviewer just typed "woihj9osdujmd0!!3wauojdhygt8yywqdrrrp" to get up to the minimum number of characters, then searchers and Google at least can draw some conclusions and decide what to do.

It is mighty hard to get a ratings-only review removed if the reviewer isn't part of a review-spam network. It's what I call a drive-by negative reviewing.

Phil Rozek

Local Search Expert
@BenFisher, spam? Where do I begin....

The first thing that comes to mind is that there should be an optional "Comments" field to accompany most edits - a place where you can provide any color commentary you'd provide to a TC (or anyone else) to corroborate your claim.

Now, both you and I know probably nobody at Google will ever see those comments, and I imagine they wouldn't be publicly visible. Maybe they're mostly ornamentation and a feel-good measure at first. But they would be visible to a TC if and when someone escalates a spam situation. They'd serve as lab notes, to make it easier for a TC or (maybe, just maybe) someone at Google to make the right decision.

These might be noob questions but I'm curious :)

What, if anything, is Google doing to improve keyword spamming within listings - specifically thinking about the business name.

Will Insights reporting become more accurate? Any new reporting features coming?

What is the goal with the follow button on listings? I realize it's a social aspect, but how will that work and where is it going in the future?

shripadd

@JoyHawkins Is there something to share with us about last product expert meeting? How it was? Is something coming for Local SEO pros?

Timothy

I just saw this for the first time suggesting a user edit in local search. New feature?

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...

Local University Guide

Google Product Exert