More threads by NinjaNonsense

Reaction score
Had a question.

Doing some keyword research to get my feet wet again. Stumbled upon a scenario.

I'm searching for some terms and I do see the Local Map Pack showing up for the terms, but in the SERPS I see websites from national results. Sites out of state, some amazon, some etc.

My question is this. If I see a Local Map Pack ranking for a term thats related to my business / one of the side services I offer, can I still rank in the Local Map Pack and/or the organic SERPs showing?

My business for example performs Service A as its primary operation, but also does side services as well (Service B). I found keywords for Service B, seeing other businesses ranking for those terms, while I'm already ranking decently for keywords related to Service A. But I'm no where in the results for service B yet, because I'm not targeting keywords related to it.

Can I still rank in the local serps and/or the local map pack on the terms showing for Service B? Pretty much just planning on building a landing page focused on said keywords, and adding them as side services/keywords on the Google Business page too.

If service A is related to service B, I see no reason why you shouldn't be able to rank for both. If they are completely unrelated it might be better to get a new site.

If service A is related to service B, I see no reason why you shouldn't be able to rank for both. If they are completely unrelated it might be better to get a new site.

That's what I was thinking.

I do have other services which would be unrelated to eachother, but making a new site for those terms would most likely not be feasible. I'm already planning on using video marketing for those terms which dont match up to the main service. But I appreciate the insight. Thanks.

Hey Ninja - As Joy mentioned, as long as the services are fairly related you should have no issue ranking different terms in the Map Pack.

Take physio clinics for example - there are many out there that rank for physiotherapy, massage therapy, acupuncture, and chiro phrases, etc. While all these services are different, they are all related and something that a single business can certainly offer.

Another example is I have a client in video production who we have ranking for video production keywords in addition to photography phrases, which is another service they offer.

Again, different services, but related. Having separate pages dedicated to each of these services and optimizing for those phrases works.

Hey Ninja - As Joy mentioned, as long as the services are fairly related you should have no issue ranking different terms in the Map Pack.

Take physio clinics for example - there are many out there that rank for physiotherapy, massage therapy, acupuncture, and chiro phrases, etc. While all these services are different, they are all related and something that a single business can certainly offer.

Another example is I have a client in video production who we have ranking for video production keywords in addition to photography phrases, which is another service they offer.

Again, different services, but related. Having separate pages dedicated to each of these services and optimizing for those phrases works.

Cool. Thanks for the input my dude.

Here's my next question. Currently planning out the navigation and silo structure for the site. I obviously want landing pages for all the local services. But here's where my curiosity gets me.

This isn't for services pages, but it falls in the same category. The store for example would sell different items along with providing other related/unrelated services.

Like tools for example. But there's different types of tools, like power tools, hand tools, air tools, then other subcategories for those. For example Air Impact Wrenches, and Electric Impact Drivers, etc.. I know for example when creating something like an amazon affiliate site it would be good to break pages down by silo in this specific fashion, but given that local seo has less searched terms would that be doable in this case? I guess ranking in the organics would be cool too (since thats generally what this method is for), but my main concern would be ranking in the local map pack for as many keywords that I obviously can. Given that the local map pops up above anything else

I'm just wondering if making separate pages for products/types and specific keywords like that would be good.

Tools
Example targeting keyword - buy tools near me
- Air Tools
Example targeting keyword - buy air tools near me

- Air compressors
Example targeting keyword - buy air compressors near me

- Power Tools

- etc...

The tools page would have small snippets and verbiage with a breakdown of all the main types of tools in this example, and some other info/videos here and there too. Then it would have links to the more specific pages, and hence forth.

Just wondering if I'm thinking of this more so in the general seo term, and if there would be a better practice for local seo to try and rank for terms like this example. I do want a beefy heavy authority site in the long run, so more content, unique and great landing pages is a must for that.

But while I'm planning out pages, I thought I'd run this by you guys for any input. Thanks again.

EDIT: If I'm thinking this right, then the way google determines how to rank a site in the map pack (niche wise) would be from the categories chose on the actually google business listing but also by the website pages/content and keywords chose to be targeted. So, logically, I think I got this planned right lol.

Yes, building out silos is good for both organic AND local SEO. Just make sure the internal linking is solid. Don't just link to these new pages in the menu, do it throughout the descriptions and text of the pages as well. Also, I'd refrain from getting too granular if the pages really are the same thing (like "car insurance" vs "auto insurance") because they you move into a grey area of having duplicate and/or thin content.

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Trending: Most Viewed

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom