More threads by russofford

Reaction score
Hi,

Would it be really bad idea to recycle/re-purpose an existing GMB listing for an Insurance agent for use with a new agent?

For example, someone at one point created listings using the naming convention of "Insurance Company Name: Agent 1 & Agent 2" (using the first and last names of the two agents at that office) or "Insurance Company: Smith, Williams, Doe" (using the last names of three agents at that office).

In this case, let's assume that there are no reviews attached to any or most of these listings.

I was wondering if I could separate the agents out to have their own unique listings where I would use the existing listing for just one of the 2 agents and create new listings for the other agent(s) who's names were combined together.

So I'd rename the existing listing from: "Insurance Company Name: Agent 1 & Agent 2" to "Insurance Company Name: Agent 1" and create a new listing for "Insurance Company Name: Agent 2".

I assume that if there was any sort of authority from the existing listing, it would stay with that listing, and the new listing would need to start from zero, but I would be OK with that. (Again, assuming there are no reviews or complicated name edit history showing in GMM.)

Another case, would be changing the agent name on a listing if one exists for a past agent who left, to use the name of an agent that does not yet have a GMB listing.

In this case, I'm assuming there are no photos and uniquely identifying info attached to the existing listing. Also, just the insurance company's home page was historically used as the URL in the GMB listing, rather than the agent's particular landing page on the company website.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Russ

I was wondering if I could separate the agents out to have their own unique listings where I would use the existing listing for just one of the 2 agents and create new listings for the other agent(s) who's names were combined together.

So I'd rename the existing listing from: "Insurance Company Name: Agent 1 & Agent 2" to "Insurance Company Name: Agent 1" and create a new listing for "Insurance Company Name: Agent 2".

Another case, would be changing the agent name on a listing if one exists for a past agent who left, to use the name of an agent that does not yet have a GMB listing.

In this case, I'm assuming there are no photos and uniquely identifying info attached to the existing listing. Also, just the insurance company's home page was historically used as the URL in the GMB listing, rather than the agent's particular landing page on the company website.

Hi Russ,

The first scenario is doable and the correct way to do the set-up according to Google's practitioner guidelines anyway. The problem in doing this is that the two new listings could negatively impact the main listing. See Possum update.

The second scenario could work and be beneficial due to taking advantage of the age of the original listing and not having to start over. There are risks though and other considerations. What is the old agent doing? Retiring? Moving to a new company?
There's also the risk of a NAP inconsistency issue until you clean-up the important sites.

So both scenarios are possible. Just take the time to think them through. As you have already started to do :)

Hi,

For example, someone at one point created listings using the naming convention of "Insurance Company Name: Agent 1 & Agent 2" (using the first and last names of the two agents at that office) or "Insurance Company: Smith, Williams, Doe" (using the last names of three agents at that office).

This naming convention is wrong - you're not supposed to list multiple practitioners on a listing. Either the listing is for the business or for 1 practitioner. Based on what you're trying to do, I think you should just have a listing for the office.

If Google catches this, they'll close it and make you open a new one. You can't change a practitioner listing from one to another - it's against guidelines. Every time I've tried this in the past, they haven't allowed it.

Hi all,

I appreciate all your input. One more question that's been plaguing me...

If an insurance agent frequently works from 2 offices, might Google have issues if I list their name at two locations?

Each location would have a unique address and a unique phone number. Both listings would most likely point to the same agent page on the company website, however, both addresses would be listed on the agent's website profile page.

For example:

ABC Insurance Co: Fred Smith
123 Main Street, Belter, WI
555-555-1111
example.com/agent/fred-smith

ABC Insurance Co: Fred Smith
345 Rare Road, Watcher, WI
555-555-2222
example.com/agent/fred-smith

Thanks!

Russ

Yes, they can have 2 listings. Just keep in mind more is not usually better.

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom