More threads by JoyHawkins

JoyHawkins

Administrator
Local Search Expert
LocalU Faculty
Solutions
Reaction score
Google said that they are fine with restaurants adding "Delivery Available" or "Takeout Available" to their business names during these crazy times. Normally this is against guidelines but given the circumstances, it's helpful for users to be able to see this info easily.

Google said that they are fine with restaurants adding "Delivery Available" or "Takeout Available" to their business names during these crazy times. Normally this is against guidelines but given the circumstances, it's helpful for users to be able to see this info easily.

Hi Joy,

This is interesting. Can you help with these questions:
- Did they update the GMB Help section on this? Where is this info published? Can't find it.
- Do you think "Temporarily" means that GMB owner will have to revert back the original name when all this COVID thing finishes? And they will announce it, as they did now, now, saying "now its time to remove" so there is not keyword stuffing there in the Name (as you said, against guidelines on representing a business), and ones don't get any suspension?!
Or maybe Google will remove those temporarily added attributes to the name?!

I ask this since I'm being precautious. If one gets suspended after I change Name in NAP, and having in mind the previous COVID update in the help section saying there will be a delay on support because of limited team, maybe I might do more harm than benefit from it.

Thanks.
And stay safe, you and the Sterling Sky team :)
Juri

1- they did not update their help section
2- this advice is primarily targeted at restaurants/grocery stores so if I were in a high risk category I wouldn’t think about it
3- Google’s view and yours should answer the question: is it in the best of the consuming public.
4- so if a grocery store or restaurant is currently offering curbside pick that clearly qualifies
5- if it were me I would not worry about suspensions (google has been lax on name spam in most categories) and if it is in the best interest of your consumer just do it.

I'm wondering if breweries should do it, appending "curbside sales" or "online sales" to their name.

I just don't want to recommend something that might get them penalized. Do you think there is little risk of that?

We live in unpredictable times. I can’t speak to Google’s future actions.

that being said they have made clear that they will not enforce this rule for the present.

if it helps the business survive and it doesn’t endanger the public it is a reasonable thing to to do in my opinion.

Historically these sorts of changes do not result in any penalty first time. Given that google has stated that it’s allowed I doubt it would now.

it is not clear,given their current manpower shortage when it it will be approved either.

I would make sure with the business owner that they are supportive.

if it were me, I would.

1- they did not update their help section
2- this advice is primarily targeted at restaurants/grocery stores so if I were in a high risk category I wouldn’t think about it
3- Google’s view and yours should answer the question: is it in the best of the consuming public.
4- so if a grocery store or restaurant is currently offering curbside pick that clearly qualifies
5- if it were me I would not worry about suspensions (google has been lax on name spam in most categories) and if it is in the best interest of your consumer just do it.
I'm testing with one of our grocery locations that offers delivery. I added "Delivery Available" early this morning, 10 hours later it is still in "Pending Edits" status. I'm hopeful this will resolve, we have several locations that offer both Delivery and Curbside pickup, incredibly valuable to communities during this time.

24 hours and status remains "Pending Edits" after adding "Delivery Available" to one grocery location business name. I had intended to apply to all delivery locations but took a test and see approach.

We live in unpredictable times. I can’t speak to Google’s future actions.

that being said they have made clear that they will not enforce this rule for the present.

if it helps the business survive and it doesn’t endanger the public it is a reasonable thing to to do in my opinion.

Historically these sorts of changes do not result in any penalty first time. Given that google has stated that it’s allowed I doubt it would now.

it is not clear,given their current manpower shortage when it it will be approved either.

I would make sure with the business owner that they are supportive.

if it were me, I would.

So would this advice apply to businesses (such as jewelry stores) that could add "- Video Appointments" if they are offering such appointment types due to store closures?

24 hours and status remains "Pending Edits" after adding "Delivery Available" to one grocery location business name. I had intended to apply to all delivery locations but took a test and see approach.
It seems that it can take 3 days at least for edits to go live. I assume all are manually checked.
Please let us know if got accepted, and if all its fine with the listings.
Thanks - stay safe :)
JD

It seems that it can take 3 days at least for edits to go live. I assume all are manually checked.
Please let us know if got accepted, and if all its fine with the listings.
Thanks - stay safe :)
JD
Still "Pending Edits" for one location where I added "Delivery Available" and ten locations where I added "Take Out". Quite disappointed to be at a full week in Pending status. And these were just test locations, I'm reluctant to update our remaining locations with Delivery options or to submit any other edits.

Yeah, I wouldn't bother. All edits are frozen at the moment. Until they change that, nothing other than a few things listed here are publishing.

Yes and no. The edits aren't discarded, they're pending so anything you submit now should get published later once they take the freeze off.

could this apply to doctors or psychologist during covid-19 adding "Video Appointments" to the business name title in GMB? Not sure if this was answered any risk of suspension?

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

LocalU Webinar

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom