More threads by Linda Buquet

Hi Greg & community...

Did I read somewhere that Google will now see that they're getting this traffic via a link from your website and that you're soliciting for reviews, and will subsequently ding you for this bad practice?

hadn't heard that, but would be surprised if it were true... Google wants you to link to your G+ page for publisher setup, and obviously if you share there, you're going to link to your G+ profile so people can see it/circle you.

Dinging you for linking to the profile would be pretty bone-headed... Not that being bone-headed has ever stopped Google before, though.

And did you create the... "...and a simple list of 5 steps walks customers through setting up a Google account if they don?t have one."

...instructions, or are they readily available on the web?

We've been using creatives for a while and now create them online and post for clients to order and print. Everything from review business cards, postcards, table tents, stickers, etc.,

However, check-ins and staff participation and encouragement still go a long way to making it easier. Check-ins tend to reap the best return as they are already active on the particular platform near or on the premises.

This is probably good for Google but I would not recommend for Yelp as they track all traffic. Since they don't allow for business owners to ask for reviews they look at this in a negative way. Suspicious for all reviews to come from direct link.

Did I read somewhere that Google will now see that they're getting this traffic via a link from your website and that you're soliciting for reviews, and will subsequently ding you for this bad practice?

This is probably good for Google but I would not recommend for Yelp as they track all traffic. Since they don't allow for business owners to ask for reviews they look at this in a negative way. Suspicious for all reviews to come from direct link.

True about Yelp, can't ask for reviews.

But with Google, Google TELLS you to ask for reviews and they want you to get reviews. So it's fine.

It's just not a good idea to do anything that would generate a bunch at once. But as people trickle into the average SMB site, only some will be existing customers, only a few of those will even notice the review link and follow through, so should be fine.

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Trending: Most Viewed

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom