More threads by Sarah FBM

Reaction score
I have a client who has been using... I guess we would call it a storage unit. It's a weird situation because the street signage actually has slots for other businesses below the storage unit company's sign, and my client has a sign on it, but they don't have an actual location there. Anyway, they made a change on their GMB and now it is unverified, and they can't receive mail at this location to re-verify it. They have a home address in the same city we can use, and since it is a service area and the street address won't be showing anyway, does it really matter if the GMB info is verified with a different address than what is on their listings?

Is there staff that work for your client at that location? If not, should verify the listing using their home address and make sure you hide the address.

They wouldn't have the address showing anyway, and apparently they don't even receive mail at the address they've given us - that we have been using for nearly 10 years. I'm more curious as to how verifying GMB with their home address will affect their other listings that have the storage address.

Is there staff that work for your client at that location? If not, should verify the listing using their home address and make sure you hide the address.

how verifying GMB with their home address will affect their other listings that have the storage address.

What other listings are you referring to? Citations? If yes, I don't think it will have an impact.

Yeah, sorry. They go between being called listings, citations, submissions... depends on who I'm talking to! Thanks!

When you update the address in Google My Business, your ranking will change because now you'll rank more when people are close to the new location (not the old location). However, I haven't seen that having a different address on the 3rd party citations would have a negative impact. I'd still try and get them updated but I wouldn't stress about getting it done immediately.

They don't want to change the other citations though, that is the main concern. Before the change in GMB's service area business terms, I seem to recall that, even if the address was not showing, it was still in the dashboard, so it just made sense that everything should still match that info. I've never had an issue (yet!) where the GMB had to be verified with a different address than what is on their website and everything else. I actually am hoping it's not a problem, as long as it is a service area business and the city is the same, this might help on a couple of my other clients.

In my experience, it doesn't matter at all. I would make the top priority keeping the GMB listing compliant so it doesn't get suspended and just leave the citations alone.

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom