More threads by Jo Shaer

Solutions
Reaction score
I know that you won't be able to get the Home Page to show gold stars but should/could you put your Review Schema on every website page that displays one or two reviews from your happy customers? I had been restricting myself to the Testimonials page but I saw that Joy's Example in the latest Local Experts' Guide shows her About Page with stars. @JoyHawkins

Hey Jo,

My recommendation is to always use a tool like GatherUp or GradeUs to streamline this but if the business refuses, I usually default to marking up a single review like the recent schema code I added to my guide last month. I would use a different review on different pages (not the same review on every page) and would use a review that describes the product and/or service that page is about.

Joy's answer is correct. You may want to check out this thread for more info on why.

Having the same review across the site or using reviews that don't match the product/service may get your site penalized.

I know that you won't be able to get the Home Page to show gold stars but should/could you put your Review Schema on every website page that displays one or two reviews from your happy customers? I had been restricting myself to the Testimonials page but I saw that Joy's Example in the latest Local Experts' Guide shows her About Page with stars. @JoyHawkins

We use Gatherup for our clients. They have what I call a sidebar widget that is schema'ed. We place it on every page. All but the home page shows up in Google with the star rating. We have done this with 100s of clients and it has shown very well in search results. So I would say yes, schema every page. You can ignore the homepage, Google just will not display stars for the home page.

I use StudioPress Genesis themes which have the schema already built in. Use a free WordPress plugin to add reviews to your site and you'll see those gold stars showing in some SERPS for certain queries.

People who aren't using schema correctly (most everyone at this point) are in danger of getting penalized. The method described earlier is the new normal. A different review on each page and relative to the service.

Honestly, even then I wouldn't do it. It's much easier to stay out of a penalty than to get out of one. I did schema reviews for awhile and then wised up. The CTR is worth it but the penalty is not. Even towing the line now with the "new normal" might not be enough in the future if Google decides to change something. Just not worth it in my opinion.

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom