Seeing New Dashboard Listings merged with Google+ Business Pages - Anyone else?

Is it finally happening? I logged into a client's new dashboard account today and was greeted with this:

I have never merged this listing with a G+ Business page, and this email address doesn't even have a Google+ profile associated with it, yet it is still able to manage the business as usual. The listing I am taken to when I press "Open" here is the same business that I see when press the "live" button on the regular dashboard.

I noticed when I am not logged in to the account, and I open the listing,

https://plus.google.com/107567888866160539048/

I still see just the two "about" and "photos" tabs, so it doesn't seem like it's a +Business page, but when I sign in I can see the 5 tabs here:

And I can access the dashboard with insights, managers, API console, and Mobile recommendations etc.

How long ago did this start happening? Have I been out of the loop?

Thanks for posting Matt!

In that 1st screenshot, where it says OPEN, I believe that indicates there is already a merged G+ social page.

That live link: https://plus.google.com/107567888866160539048/about

It's a little odd, because like you said there are only 2 tabs. BUT it is an upgraded social page I believe, because there IS a follow button.

So you are saying you never manually merged the 2 pages or created a G+ page and verified it???
Are you sure the client didn't???

Do you think Google automatically did it, or???

We take detailed notes for each of our clients and we never noted that we merged the page - we also update the listing for our clients using our own Google account for each client, so there's no way that the client could have done it on their own. I can only assume that Google did it.

Have you seen this before? I feel like Google has promised that it would do this for the past year or so but this is the first I'm seeing.

Interesting so you think Google did this automatically? I've heard from a couple users lately that sounded like something similar may have happened.

Where did you see Google say that would automatically upgrade to G+ for you?
I've never seen it mentioned publicly anywhere that that's where they have been heading.

Not saying they would never do it. They did the automatic upgrade to G+ Local. Just saying I've never seen them come out and say that's where they were heading necessarily.

Since you set up the listing in your Google account, do you get account emails or did you use the clients email address? Have you checked to see if Google sent an email about it? If by chance you find one, could you post what it says here for us?

Thanks Matt!

I haven't received any emails from Google to that account unfortunately.

I had assumed that this is where they were headed because I think people referred to the 'manual merge' as a temporary solution that businesses could perform ahead of time, but that eventually Places, +Local, +Business pages and Merged +Business Pages would all be the same thing. I'm still confused when I think of all the different pages there are... Hopefully this is the beginning of the end of that.

Here's another one I just found.
https://plus.google.com/105033631700342339859

I had assumed that this is where they were headed because I think people referred to the 'manual merge' as a temporary solution that businesses could perform ahead of time, but that eventually Places, +Local, +Business pages and Merged +Business Pages would all be the same thing. I'm still confused when I think of all the different pages there are... Hopefully this is the beginning of the end of that.
Ahhh, I see what you are saying. No the way it WAS. The manual merge, you are right was a temporary fix.

But then where they have said we are heading is the new dashboard where the user still must take the step to upgrade. It's not automatic. BUT it's much easier and sort of a one button upgrade via the G+ widget.

But based on what you are saying/showing maybe something is changing.

That listing is just like the other. 2 tabs and a Follow button.

So you are saying that like the other listing, you did nothing to upgrade/merge or verify the Google+ page? So you think Google did an automatic upgrade for you?

You guys have a TON of clients right? Will you let us know if you see this happening for any others?

Tyson Downs

Forum Member
Here's what I had happen.

Attorney had a Places page.

Attorney also had a Google + Page.

When I logged in today to his + Page which I'm a manager of, I noticed it was now a merged account. In other words it is now a Places page where people can leave reviews, and you can select the categories, etc. Plus it has the new dashboard.

Now I am wondering if it is alright that the firm has a places page and the Attorney does. I know that Attorneys and Docs can have their own page, but how will Google know not to merge them? Won't they now be competing with each other in the Places results?

Now I am wondering if it is alright that the firm has a places page and the Attorney does. I know that Attorneys and Docs can have their own page, but how will Google know not to merge them? Won't they now be competing with each other in the Places results?
Well a couple diff issues are getting merged in this topic.

1st of all re practitioner listings competing in search and knocking the practice listing out of the rankings. The solution for that was in training you just took.

Here are the links for others to read as well.
Read both but read bottom one 1st. The top one explains what to do.
(However the link above has to do with ranking and nothing to do with G+)

But this thread is more specifically about what reportedly appears to be Google automatically merging Place pages with Google+. (Or upgrading the Place page to +)

The concern I have about Google merging the attorney listing (if that's what's happening) is that multi-locations are not qualified to merge with G+ yet. There is no mechanism yet that's been announced that I know of, to manage one G+ page with multiple Place pages. I would assume this goes not only for multiple locations, but multiple practitioners all at the same location.

So if Google is indeed starting to automatically merge with G+ I wonder how they will handle one practice with 5 attorneys. Or one practice with 3 locations and 10 attorneys???

Tyson Downs

Forum Member
Thanks for the reminder. If only I had a photographic memory I'd be set. :)

This attorney's listing was a simple + Business page that he set up as Attorney Name: Attorney at Law. that's it. Now that listing is a + and Places page where people can leave reviews.

Then of course as I mentioned he has a Places page for his business. That one hasn't been merged.

Tyson - I'm a little confused by what you're saying. In my experience, all +Business and Places pages have the option to have reviews left on them. The only time I can think of when you cannot leave reviews on a page would be when a +Business page is first created and it has not yet been verified.

Going back to the new events transpiring in the +business/places merge world, I DID receive an email for some of the listings that had merged last night at 4am. This is as much of the email as I was able to screenshot. Pretty preliminary stuff.

So far I've received about 8 of these emails from Google, but I've seen more than 8 of these merged accounts, so I don't think they're getting sent out for every account.

I've also noticed that you can now just update your new dashboard listing to a G+ page when you're in your dashboard.

Just click start now, and it'll come up with this nice little loading message.

And voila! No need to create a G+ profile, which I KNOW was a huge deal for us, cause we had to use a real person's name for the G+ profile, instead of being able to use a business name or brand. Super convenient!

a11c

Forum Member
Regarding only two tabs showing, you can edit the settings to each Google+ page to display or not display photos, videos and reviews

Also, in some instances, I have seen when an old places dashboard was updated to the new dashboard the Google+ Local page has automatically been synced with the Places listing.

Tyson Downs

Forum Member
I haven't used Google + much, mainly its Places, so I wasn't aware that you could leave a review on a social profile. What was different on that particular listing is that it was the new dashboard.

The same dashboard I am getting when I claim a new places listing for a client.

Interesting. I think when I had seen this in the past, I assumed that you needed to create a G+ profile in order to add the social functions to the place page. Do we have any idea when this stopped being necessary?

The "start now" button to automatically create the Google+ Page has been around for a few months.[/url]
Yes that's been around - the ability to upgrade to G+ if you have the new dash and the G+ widget.

And reviews on G+ listings AFTER you manually merge (AKA verify) G+ has been around for a long time.

What IS new and the main topic of this thread is that Google is starting to automatically merge/upgrade to G+ on some listings. The emails prove that it's not just a fluke or something, but it appears that's where we are heading.

Initially it seemed that upgrading or merging would be an OPTION with the new dashboard, but based on the examples above, it's looking more like Google is going to auto update everyone, like they did when they rolled out the Google+ Local update.

And IF that's where she is heading...

If everyone has one page - the same page... and you don't have to merge or verify or upgrade, how much confusion would that eliminate? How much easier would that make it for everyone - consultants and business owners alike?

One page - the same one for all! Then it's just a matter of whether or not you choose to use the social features. How cool would that be?

(Just speculating based on the examples above and what appears to be happening.)

YAY it's official, so now I can talk about it. :)

Jade just posted an update at the Google forum in the sticky about the new dashboard.

More details about the improved look and feel of Google Places for Business

Update - August 20

Starting today, some pages managed in the new Google Places for Business dashboard will be automatically upgraded to have social features. We will send out emails to users whose pages are automatically upgraded letting them know. Users who have upgraded pages will see a link to Visit your Google+ page in their dashboards. A personal Google+ account is not necessary in order to utilize social features on local Google+ pages that are automatically upgraded.

If the listing for your business is not automatically upgraded and you are interested in social features, you may be able to use the Google+ widget to upgrade the page manually. (You can read more about the Google+ widget in the update from April 11 on this post -- scroll up.)

Please first make sure you follow these criteria:
You must have verified your business in your Places account.

Your Places for Business email address should also have a Google+ profile.

Your page must be in a category that is eligible for Google+.

If these apply to you, you will see a Google+ widget in your dashboard inviting you to upgrade. Simply click Get your Google+ page to upgrade. This will create a local Google+ page in Google+ that is tied to your Google+ account. You will be able to update this page from both Google Places for Business and Google+.

If you do not see the Google+ widget yet, or don’t have the upgrade link in your widget, sit tight while we work on getting a smooth upgrade process in place for you.
And here is the corresponding help doc.

So that's a confirmation and all the info there is at this point. Again, if you don't have the Google+ widget or upgrade link yet, just hang tight.

I'm sure this will create lots of questions and what ifs... as I get more info I'll be sure to update you guys.

I'm going to post an official update thread in the "Google+ Local IMPORTANT" section of the forum as soon as I get time.

Thanks for the updates.

It has been super confusing since we have so many different dashboards and properties.

On some, the creation automatically creates the new dashboard but it is bizarre on how some get updated and others don't.

We might call it, "job security." LOL

Local Search Forum

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe

Google Product Exert

@LocalSearchLink

Join Our Facebook Group